For the less domesticated among us, how do you motivate yourself to get housework done?

I hate cleaning. I especially hate that everything I've done immediately gets undone between kids and husband. My husband will look at a room I've JUST finished cleaning, and then think nothing of dropping his dirty clothes all over the floor. He throws the recycling in the garbage so I have to dig it out and rinse it all off. And the man can't do a dish if his life depends on it, srsly. Or laundry.

I am NOT a domestic goddess. I try to keep up, but I start to get overwhelmed and discouraged. Do you have any time-saving tricks or things you do to motivate yourself to get stuff done?

Cassidhes_Mom

Asked by Cassidhes_Mom at 12:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I just do a little bit, often. If you keep up on it, it never gets too bad. For example, start being more conscious of little messes you make. When you take something out, put it back after you use it. It took me a while to get into this habit, but if you always put things back in their place or clean up the tiny messes, it never get to where you're overwhelmed. I do know what you mean about your husband though, and that's incredibly frustrating. My husband is the same way sometimes and I just want to scream. I've started just collecting everything he leaves lying around and putting it all into a basket. When he wants something or wants to know where it is, I tell him that since he didn't put it away, i put it in that basket in our closet. As for motivation, some days I can't muster up any, but I make myself do it anyway. I tell myself that once I do, I can relax or even come on this site and answer some questions, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Can you afford maid service once a month? If not here is the advice my mom gave me. #1. lay dow rules about how the house is going to be kept. #2. Apply dispiline to those who do not take you serious & stick with your demands or else it's all over. Now to get started make a list, write on paper & keep list visible. he BIG #1 make your bed as soon as your feet hit the floor. It gives you a sense of accomplishment, kids have to do it also, my boys made their beds before school, since they were 5 years old. Just gotta be god & let everyone know it, including lazy, thoughtless family members! Start your list with making the bed. If there is a husband in the bed, he either gets up (even weekends) when you do or YOU DELAGATE the job to him as soon as his feet hit the floor. Be strong, be decisive, be dispilined' don't whimp out. YOU ARE GOD, TELL THEM THAT, YOU'RE THE BOSS. BE A STRONG PERSON. IT WORKS! It gets easier.
    douwannadance

Answer by douwannadance at 12:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't. My house and car are a pigsty...I need meds and a butt kicker to even attempt. Yeah, I know I have issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I let the house fall apart until it makes me sick to look at it and then play catch up for an entire day or two every two weeks. I have to find a babysitter to clean, even just to throw in the laundry. My DD has some sever issues and my eyeballs need to be on her at all times. Thankfully I can type without looking at the keyboard and she is sitting in my lap.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My cleaning lady comes on Mondays. Without her I'd get discouraged. It's well worth $40 for her to come and clean the bathrooms and kitchen, dust, and mop .... All I have to do is vacuum everyday and pick up!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i want to add, in addition to staying on top of little messes, every day pick a project and a deep cleaning. For example...clean all of the floors and organize a cabinet or two. That's what I do, in addition to my daily cleaning. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Remember that girl you hated in high school, and she hated you just as much in return? Tell yourself she's on your way to your house, and bringing your mother, grandmother, mother in law, and your kids' teachers with her. Alternately, you could invite someone over for real so you HAVE to get it done.

I don't have to deal with this so much anymore since I started using a daily schedule - I don't do everything everyday, so it only takes 20-30 minutes a day to stay caught up. There's one here: http://www.motivatedmoms.com/ - you can download the sample pdf to get the idea without paying anything.  I prefer that to something like flylady because...well, because I'm sane.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2010