why do people think just because their babies came out healthy others will too?

So im 36 week pregnant and all people want to do is complain about how stupid i am because i try to watch what i eat and i dont want to be around cleaning supplies and stuff like that. my mom and everyone around me likes to smoke like theres no tomorrow, they are chain smokers and they dont care weather it effects the baby or not. my mom smoked through her pregnancy with me and my brother and she said she was around cleaning supplies all the time and none of those caused problems with me or my brother. im am just so sick of people thinking that it wont hurt my son. what is your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Uhg, I know what you mean. I have no idea. I am more like you. I don't care how anybody else's kid came out. I am going to do everything in my power to make sure nothing is because I might have potentially caused it. Like smoking, drinking, chemicals, wrong foods, inductions...nothing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Don't let it get to you. You can't control what other people do, only yourself.

However, with your mother NOW is the time to stand up- if she won't stop smoking around you and the baby, she can't be around you and the baby. JMO>
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Those people are gross and shouldn't be allowed to have children. I don't understand why they can't be respectful of you and your baby. They're selfish and if they were in my life they wouldn't be anymore. Just because they didn't care enough be careful with their precious little unborn babies and they think it's okay doesn't mean that they should put you in that situation. Good luck that sucks.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think that you're doing the right thing my being careful and taking the best care of yourself as you can. Screw the bad advice, do what's best for your baby. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You're doing what is (in your opinion- which is the only one that truly matters) best for your pregnancy, yourself, and your unborn child. If they have a problem with it, that is their personal problem. They need to deal with it.
    Some things can't be avoided, and that is a given, but unnecessary exposure CAN be avoided, and should- for anyone, not just those who are pregnant. If they can't respect that, then perhaps you should make clear the fact that they are being disrespectful to you, your child, and your life decisions... And should it continue, it will affect your relationship.

Some people simply refuse to look reality in the face, and those are the people I avoid. Family or not.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It will be like this forever. You just keep doing what you feel is right and let them know you are doing the best for your baby.

Sometimes people who are doing the "wrong" thing want to drag others down to make themselves feel less guilty about it too.

Sure their child may look like they came out fine, but you don't have details....were they small, have asthma, behavioral problems, cancer in the future ? You don't really know. Everyone always says that. "oh we are fine," but are you really fine....when you look at it a lot of people do have health issues and cancers probably exaggerated by chemical exposure, unhealthy diets etc...

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Dont listen to them.If it was ok to do those things then tha doctor and Baby books would not warn you about it!I have cousins that tell Me it's alright to smoke while pregnant beause they did and their child is fine but really their kids had breathing problems and they dont even blame it on smoking!So You do what Your doing now.
    From2to3

Answer by From2to3 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Everyone wants to give their opinion no matter what you care. As for your mom, you need to put your foot down otherwise your wishes won't be honored if she ever babysits. She needs to understand that just because you kids came out fine, that is not how you want your child raised.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Well i have told her many times to stop using the cleaning supplies and stop smoking around me and she just looks at me like im stupid and says that things havent changed since she was pregnant.
    amanda202010

Answer by amanda202010 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Its more of an excuse to justify their behavior than anything.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2010