Do you teach your children...

that if you can't say something nice, you shouldn't say anything at all? If so, do you model this behavior?

Asked by rkoloms at 12:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I teach them to be honest- and to do so as tactfully as possible. If it is just plain mean, perhaps you shouldn't say it at all, or maybe you need to find gentler words.
    I do try to follow my own rules, and it can be hard- especially when dealing with my ex- but when I am wrong, I am wrong. And they should know that... When you screw up, it presents the opportunity for a child to learn that they should admit to their mistakes, and own them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I do teach my kids that, and honestly no at times I do not model this behavior but when I slip up I try to catch myself and tell the kids that what I did was wrong...I don't always catch myself though, that's a problem :)
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I try to teach my kids that as well. I try my best to do it. I never want to be a "do as I say, not as I do." type of parent.

Obviously I slip up as well, but like PP I try to catch myself when I do and I explain how I was wrong.
    I think it's ok for our kids to see us make mistakes, it shows them that no one is perfect and that EVERYONE makes mistakes. Making mistakes is ok, as long as you try your best and can acknowledge when you're wrong and right the situation as best you can.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I do teach this to my kids, and I do try to live by it too. I'm not perfect, so ocaissionally I do mess up. When I catch myself doing it I try to point it out and let them know what I should have said or done instead.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• yes and yes
    charlie282

Answer by charlie282 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My oldest is 6 and well, he speaks his mind just like his momma.
    Kim3787

Answer by Kim3787 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have the same answer as LuvmyFam6.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I teach them to be honest. Period.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010