What age is it OK to leave a child alone in the car with the AC on for a few minutes and what age is OK for an older child to be left in the car with a younger child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• It does depend on where you live. I would say that no child under the age of 12-13 should ever be left in a car alone.
    The same age for a child who is with a younger sibling. The age should be high enough to where the child can defend themselves if they need to. Where they can defend their younger sibling from whatever may happen. And/or know how to get out of the car to get help if something happens.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Depends on where you live. Here in Houston, never.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Depends on how hot it is. In addition, if you wouldnt leave them home alone I wouldnt leave them in the car alone. I wouldnt leave a younger child in the car with an older child ever. It is not the responsibility of your older child to watch your younger child. YOU are the parent.
    CFWife

Answer by CFWife at 1:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I leave my kids in the car with the windows up and the ac on to go to the gas station door open it and ask someone to come take my money if I need to use cash. Other than that never. I personally see no reason for it. Once your child is 'old enough' , like maybe 11 or so, to be left alone in the car it is just as reasonable and safer to have them to come in with you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010