Why are we so quick to judge people on appearances?

If you see someone, ugly or fat, or poorly dressed, with tattos, rotting teeth, some automatically think of judging without getting to know the person inside. Is this like a plate of food not appealing to the eyes and you automatically say no! I am not eating that even though it might be yummy?

Asked by older at 1:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • i don't judge a person by their outward appearances. i have found that you never know what you will find when you get to know a person. dh and i argue about this often. i just hope the kids follow my way!
    dh thinks the way from2to3 does, i don't think it is true.
    maybe someone has rotting teeth because they didn't have dental insurance, or rotting teeth from a medication. maybe they honestly don't know how to dress best for them, or maybe they don't have the money for the clothes that you like.
    i think looking someone in the eyes, and speaking clearly and having a firm handshake are better ways toleave a good first impression.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't judge people by appearance. If anything, I try to be even nicer to them because I know that other people may not be. I think it's horrible how an ugly person can be mistreated for something they can't help. We CAN help how we are on the inside, so that's what should matter.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Because the way people dress and carry themselves is more than likely the way they like to be and shows personality.
    From2to3

Answer by From2to3 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• humans are quick to judge because we are animals and it is natures way to survive (gone astray with society) but nature gives you ability to pick out what does not belong

like..hey that is not another deer, it is different...oh it is a lion

nature made, but society ruined
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't. Do you?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes, but I'm not opposed to getting to know them and finding out. There is a reason they say "first impressions make the difference".
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• no mancos, I don't but I know a lot of people who do!

Comment by older (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010