How can I make it easier for my husband and my baby for breast feeding?? bottle? both? weaning??

Is it easier to do both some breast feeding and some bottle feeding(with breast milk)? Would it make weaning off easier for the baby? Would it make my husband feel more handy at night time,as far as getting up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• You should take some brestfeeding classes. They are free at the health dept here in my home town. Your nipple is not the same as a bottle nipple. It confuses the baby and can cause him to hurt your nipples when he sucks as hard as he does on the bottle. You can breastfeed and let the father burp him and change him and spend time with him after feedings.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 12:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• There are lots of other ways for dad to be involved, changing diapers, bath time, clothes, playing. "straight from the tap' is the best way to be successful in breastfeeding. The more you pump or use a bottle when you don't have to the worse it is for your supply. Just let him know how important BFing is and how healthy it is for you and baby, and let him help out other ways. Feeding is only ONE way to bond.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 1:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• YES! You can do both BF and Bottle! I did & it was great! ANYONE could feed the baby, I didn't have to BF in public if I didn't want to & I could give my chapped nipples a break if I wanted. I also think it made it a lot easier to wean my son off the breast. I would highly recommend doing MOSTLY breast at first, to make sure your baby latches on & doesn't give you trouble, but after a few weeks you'll be able to alternate between breast and bottle with no problems! Good luck to you!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• If your husband wants to help out at night, he can bring you the baby, and go rock/tuck the baby back in. Your husband has a million ways to bond with the baby that do NOT involve feeding it. Don't sacrifice your breastfeeding relationship because you think he can only bond by feeding the baby. Pumping isn't as good for your supply as nursing directly from the breast, and the more bottles you give, the less milk your body will make.
    The easiest thing for the baby is what they're MADE to do, and that's to nurse directly from the breast.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:05 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Hey crazysocks, I learned in my BFing class that when you switch from breast to bottle often, you are only hurting yourself and thats a result of the chapped nipples and pain and dryness of nipples. That's why it not recommended to do both at the same time just to get everyone else involved. The baby gets more milk when he/she positions his/her pallet and sucks harder on a bottle. When you introduce your nipple again they quite naturally feel that they have to suck hard and its not good for your nipples.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 9:42 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I've bfed my 14m/o since day 1. Dadda has never helped with feeding.He does change diapers, give baths, take walks and other things with our son to bond. Even if you give your baby BM in a bottle you still have to pump when you would normally nurse the baby to keep your supply up. It's much easier to just bf and not worry about bottles. There are some great groups on here that can answer your Q much better!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• my son was a premie and the nicu doctors told me i could nurse adn they could supplement with the bottle. they said they have never once seen a case of nipple confusion. so pump, and let hi handle it when he can and you get some sleep.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Your husband can still give the baby a bottle even though you're nursing, you don't have to exclusively nurse. Both of mine got one bottle a day starting when they were about a week old and went right back to nursing with no problem. I pumped my milk in the mornings because that was when my supply was the best and with my second one, I had so much milk that he NEVER had to have formula. My husband would give them a bottle when I needed a break, sometimes in the middle of the night, or sometimes he would take them over to his parents house or something for a couple hours in the evening, or after my second one, I went back to Jazzercise and he would give him a bottle then and I would pump before I'd leave so I wouldn't be too full. Both of them had binkies too so there was no nipple confusion.The important thing is to introduce the bottle when they're about 2-3 weeks old, or even younger, because if you wait til they're a few months old, they won't take a bottle at all.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2008