Mobile Bay Ferry shut down due to oil....This just popped up in our lcal news!

This means a great deal more time on the rd for many workers that used the ferry to get back and forth to work as a short cut ACROSS Mobile Bay instead of the long way around. That means another impact on the environment, Local peoples wallet, not to mention the jobs of those who run/work for the ferry :( This thing is having SO MANY repercussions and there just doesnt seem to be any REAL help getting down here! Instead of a benefit concert do you think the celebrities could get together and hire equipment? Do you think the govt should be making his MORE of priority....NOT the $$$ part but the EQUIPMENTY part?? I feel like we are being left to hang down here!

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I feel like we are being left to hang down here!
    ------
    Sorry, momof, but I believe you are right. There is an ulterior motive behind all these environmental studies, and EPA approval for everything, and what-not. There is a reason why there is no equipment, why the boats are grounded for a day ostensibly for an inspection that never happened... He is waiting for something else to happen, but I don't know exactly what...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Sorry, momof. *hugs* Money isn't the same as action.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• There was a benefit, didn't they just raise 8 million?

and there is a 20 BILLION dollar fund...from BP
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• BUT THERE IS NO EQUPIMENT! Thats my POINT. Obama has done NOTHING to really help! They call for help and its not HERE OR it take DAYS and DAYS! GREAT they have the dang money...now DOOOOOO something WITH IT!
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Why not start something yourself? Try approaching your local transit offices to see if there's some kind of ride sharing opportunity that could help offset some of the commuting costs. Hell, put an ad on Craigslist and see if anyone else can help you come up with something! Good luck! I'm sorry that you feel so aggravated and helpless.
    JessicaG45342

Answer by JessicaG45342 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Thanks Jessica but I am a SAHM :) I just know so many people that this screws up. Not to mention more traffic (especially people late for work and not used to adding the extra time) means more accidents! and Mancos thats the entire point! Money ISNT the same as doing...neither is TALKING. When Obama came for a visit I had family down there and they say he took that island at 90 to nothin! All he saw was the sq footage around where he stood an TALKED. SHUT UP AND DO!!! Come ON!
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If wishes could make things better, I would send you a whole box car full. We are on your side. I write my representatives constantly urging them to urge PBO to stop the politicing and just do what has to be done.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree with 29....again! LOL

I read that the oil spewing out of the broken pipe is also spewing abrasive materials like small rocks and minerals, and it is actually ERODING the pipe! If the pipe completely disintegrates, I can only imagine what will happen, and THEN how will they fix it, when they already they can't cap a 21 inch diameter pipe!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• They are doing us just like they do third world countries. They send all this aid money, but it doesn't go to the people. It goes to the multinationals cleaning up the mess they made. It goes to building infrastructure that won't help the people.
    But the ferry isn't CLOSED. It's suspended. They are predicting erratic service. They are doing their best to keep the path between Dauphin Island and Ft. Morgan clear. In fact, service was due to be shut down at Noon on Friday, but they managed to get the oil out of the way and service continued as normal. They are also planning on docking the ferry further west to prevent it from getting coated. There is actually no ferry that crosses mobile bay itself. There's the Bayway and the Causeway for that. The ferry goes from the eastern tip of Dauphin Island to Ft. Morgan in the Gulf Shores area.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2010