Water Birth?

What are your views on it? I am interested in the option of having a water birth but its my first and I would like to know more from people who have had one or have had both regular & water.

lilmisbeachbum

Asked by lilmisbeachbum at 1:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have always wanted to do that! but I always have fast labors so its pointless!!..lol
    Artistachica

Answer by Artistachica at 1:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i've never had a water birth but i plan on having one
    try joining the Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth group here on CM they are wonderful!!! and many of them have had water births.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My only thoughts are that all that fluid that comes out of you when you are in labor and the 'mess' of afterbirth...do you really want to be sitting in a pool with all that floating with you?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would like to try laboring in water...and water birth if it feels good. But, if I end up on a bed on my hands and knees or any other position I am fine..not dead set on water birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't think the "mess" really matters when you strongly feel you are providing the best entry into this world for your baby.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I tried with my first and couldn't with my second. I will be trying again this time. But I got to labor with both my labors in the water and loved it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have had both. The experience of the water birth that I had was with my third and I was in the hosptial. It was a great experience and I found the water to be relaxing. It isn't for everyone and labor is painful. so you can try it if you change your mind you can go right to a bed for pain medication.
    Logansmom2506

Answer by Logansmom2506 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i considered water birth for my first child, and i did labor in the water for a good while but started feeling like i needed to get out after a while. i can say that the water helped w/ the pain a lot and i definitely wanted water birth to be an option for my 2nd birth but the hospital i decided to have the birth at didn't "allow" water birth, but they did allow you to labor in the water. i would definitely consider home birth if you are interested in water birth :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Water is considered the "midwife's epidural"

I haven't had one, but even just the opportunities to swim while very pregnant was AMAZING. It really felt like I just wasn't pregnant anymore. All the little aches and pains are gone, and you feel really good. I can only imagine how awesome it would be in labor! I planned on with my second, but she was too fast.

And to those women who consider it "messy", why?
    It is the fluid that your BABY was just in. It is not dirty. In addition, as soon as you are ready to get out, you have already just rinsed the "mess" away by being in the water. And there is no rule that you have to deliver the placenta in the water. It is usually easier to get out and allow more gravity to assist. But if it comes out in the water, oh well! It is your own blood. Plus, I assume that you would want to take a shower within a few hours if you really felt that "messy."
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:26 AM on Jun. 26, 2010