Are you a SAHM or a Working mom?

What positive or negative effects do you think it has had on your relationship with your child/children? Are you glad you've made the choice that you have?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am a SAHM and love every minnute of staying at home. My girls are 2.5 and 5 I have been a SAHM since my oldest was born achually since I was 7 months pregnant with her. The only thing is when they get to fighting and not listening sometimes I need a break lol. I miss have adults to talk to all day sometimes lol. My kids are always with me I rarely get a sitter. I think my kids are smarter than most because I stayed home. Although my sisters son is pretty smart and he is in daycare. My kids are real close to me more me than daddy lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• working mom and DD and I have a great relationship. i do wish that I could SAHM but I would want a part time job to occupy me since, honestly if I can work out of the home and keep the house clean, then being a SAHM has a lot of boring time to it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I am a proud Work Outside the Home Mom. I say it that way, because I honestly feel there is no such thing as a Non Working Mom, lol. I take a lot of pride in the fact, that I worked hard and found a job, that allows me the flexibility I need to be available to my son, and still bring in a nice income. Although I have worked full time since he was 6 weeks old, I have never missed a Doctor's appointment, sports event, or anything else for that matter, and considering he is 10 I think that is pretty darn good!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I've been a SAHM for 17 years. My hubby and I have 3 girls ages 17, 10 and 4. I feel very fortunate that I've been able to be here for them at all times. I do however feel that it is a negative that my girls don't get to see me as a successful career women. We do make up for that by stressing to them how important a college education and their own money is.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I am a proud WM I have a great relationship with all my children. Secretly though, now with having a baby and possibly planning for another in the next year I wish I had the resources to be able to stay home more with my children but I think each family does whatever works best for their personal situation. I do not regret the choices I have made but then again I really didn't have an option. I was a mother at a young age and when hubby and I got together we were just getting our careers going. I am happy that I am able to balance a career with family life, of course with my hubby's help.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I guess I'm both... I am generally a full time SAHM, most of the time I'm a WAHM, but I do work outside the home up to a day or two a week... I was home full time for the first 2 years and hated it. I am a person who has been working full time since I was 11. I love working and love being out with others earning money. So being home with kids all day was just painful! I'm hoping to go back to work more permanently after this baby is born next year.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• SAHM for now but in the near future I plan on doing temporary part time work, I love being with my son all the time :)
    MinnieMouse8

Answer by MinnieMouse8 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• SAHM and before that I was a stay at home wife. Never worked well under other people, tried it a few times :) Plus husband insist I stay home to raise our babys and I will also be homeschooloing them. There is no negative effect besides we only have one income and not two but to us its well worth it.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• sahm and loving it! I do miss chpping in financially, but if I were to get a job, my paychecks would go towards daycare and perhaps gas in my car....so it would be pointless. Plus I'd rather be with my son than drop him off at a daycare center
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'm a SAHM but it wasn't so much a choice
    But i am glad with being a SAHM. It's very important for my children and i. Especially because i did not give birth to my children so bonding has to be created and maintained at all times. I feel it has contributed to happier, healthier children.

Down side? I miss my social life!!!! And i miss going to school.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010