What qualities do you look for in a vet?

I haven't gotten a dog yet, I'm still preparing to bring a fur baby home so I want to have a vet picked out in advance.

sk_tennyson

Asked by sk_tennyson at 2:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pets

• I look for a vet that first and foremost actually appears to like animals. I look for competence from the vet and from the staff. I expect them to offer information about after hours services, I check to see whether they have an oncall vet when they are on vacation, etc. I expect the waiting and exam rooms to be clean ~ if they aren't clean I would question their care and competence.

Because I am aware of the issues with vaccinations and flea treatments, I also insist on a vet that is aware of these problems and doesn't vaccinate just for routine income. I know what the overhead costs are, but I still compare prices and fees. Someone who is more interested in income than in my pet's health won't see me ~ or my pets ~ again. I worked as a vet tech for a long time, so maybe I'm pickier than most people. But, a good vet is worth the money you'll spend ... and than some!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Word of mouth... Ask friends, neighbors, family who they use and if they are happy with them.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Great answer, Farmlady09. I agree with all your points. I was going to say that if I don't get an immediate sense that the vet and staff actually LIKE and CARE for animals, I'm not going to go there. I love my cats, and I need to work with an office that fully understands how much they mean to me.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Compassion.

Years ago, my kitty Sunshine had a blockage in his urinary tract on a weekend that required a visit to the emergency vet. We didn't have a regular vet yet, because we had just moved. Poor Sunshine had a catheter in that he had chewed up, so he was covered in urine and because he kept wanting to use the potty, he was covered in litter that was caked on all over him. I took him to a new vet in town, the man picked Sunshine up and cuddled his nasty little body up to him and just spoke to him so sweetly......He's still my vet today and it has been over 10 years.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I like one that also provides boarding, is called a hospital as opposed to a vet (I don't know why I am just being honest), one who has Saturday hours, and one who is a pillar of the community.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010