Should I correct my 4yo writing letters backwards/ like E and C

He just started to write his name and some others letters, but he will write E and C backwards and I do not want to correct him unless I have to. Also, sometimes he holds his pencil right and sometimes he will not, should I always make sure he is doing it correctly. Thanks in advance.

allmomma

Asked by allmomma at 2:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes you should correct him that way he is wrtting them the correct way and as for holding the pencil that is a major thing that schools want your child to hold the pencil correctly so if you nip it in the but now it wont cause problems later
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 2:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would correct him you want him to learn correctly if my DD was old enough i would correct her. I don't see any problem with correcting your child if there doing something wrong.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• For him to learn how to write word corecty, you need to tell and show him he is writing letters backwards. He will never know he is doing it wrong if you do not tell him.

Answer by louise2 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would keep writing his name in the correct way to use as an example for him to look at.
    Let him write it the way he writes it..but from time to time, help him write it in the correct way. That way he doesnt get discouraged from doing it,like he's doing it wrong but feels accomplished. As long as he sees examples of the correct way to write those letters, eventually he will get it.
    A lot of kids that age will write certain letters backwards.
    Good Luck!
    Great job btw...on him already interested in writing his name!!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son would write his D d and B b backwards. I would correct him in a reminding way. DS kindergarden and 1st grade teacher said he would grow out of it and he is going to the 3rd grade now and 99% of the time he writes it the right way. Sometimes when he is in a hurry or something he will write it the wrong way.

youngmom33

Answer by youngmom33 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Do not officially correct him all the time with his letters. Occasionally remind him that an E looks like that and not like 3. etc. He'll get the hang of it. my 4 year old does his lowercase a backwards.

same thing with pencil holding. dont constantly correct him. But occasionally just gently remind him that it's easier to hold the pencil the "right" way.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would not like get on him about it. But, yes I would consistently point out that was not the correct way to write those letters and/or hold his pencil. He is little, if you don't teach him, he won't know.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No you shouldn't. Just keep printing the letters correctly and he will catch on. A lot of kids write letters backwards until 1st grade. My son wrote his s sideways and his 8 sideways until 2nd grade. It takes time for kids to build the small motor control and eye hand coordination to write every letter correctly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2010