Are there any schools that provide lunch for students who have allergies as part of the Federal School Lunch Program?

Energ8zr

Asked by Energ8zr at 2:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in

• Our school district does supply lunch to children with food allergies. my daughter has allergies and on days that she doesn't bring her lunch although that isn't to often they supply her with a lunch that she can have. also they seperate the kids that have peanut allergies so that there is little chance of them getting sick.
    nscr24x17x3

Answer by nscr24x17x3 at 8:38 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I meant to say FOOD allergies.
    Energ8zr

Comment by Energ8zr (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I thought that every public school in the nation had to provide food for the children that qualified for free or reduced priced lunches. Honestly, if you have a doctor's statement as to their food restrictions, I think it could legally be an accessibility issue if they didn't.
    That being said, if it were my child, and they had food allergies, I would probably do all that I could to provide their lunch myself, simply because I don't trust others like that : ). But, if I absolutely could not provide the lunches, you can bet I would fight them based on my child's right to a free or reduced price lunch in order to get an adequate education!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Here in NY schools don't provide lunch to students with allergies. I was wondering if other states have/have initiated any initiatives proposing schools to provide food for students with allergies.
    Energ8zr

Comment by Energ8zr (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Just dealt with this issue: boy allergic to dairy and nuts eating school lunch. Apparently, they don't have to provide for the child, however, the mother would read the menu to check and see what days her son could eat lunch. Because he was so young and wasn't sure what he could eat, he had an allergic reaction requiring medical care. Better off to pack a lunch to ensure that there is no cross-contamination!
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 3:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would never trust the school to get it right. At ours they don't even charge the lunches to the right student about a quarter of the time. Even if they offered it, I'd pack it myself so I knew what was in it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Allergies is a complex medical condition. In our case we are not worry about cross contamination since his allergies have shown not to be as severe as compare with other cases of Anaphylaxis attack.
    Energ8zr

Comment by Energ8zr (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Not my school district. My niece is allergic to peanut butter and when the school is serving it, her mom gets a phone call to bring a different lunch. I do not think the school has to provide a separate lunch for kids with allergies, it just isn't feasible. My district has almost 20,000 kids...can you imagine having to do separate meals for every child that has an allergy?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2010