how much milk should my son be drinking

he is 1 year old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No more than 16 oz of dairy a day. That includes milk and cheese and yogurt.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• you mean cows milk?
    really, as long as he is getting calcium from other rich sources he doesn't need the milk at all if he doesn't like it. leafy green veggies, broccoli and cheese and yogurt are all good sources of calcium
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son gets his cup of milk with breakfast and with dinner other then that it is either water or juice.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Is he eating adult food/babyfood? If yes a couple of cup a day sounds good.

Answer by louise2 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• wow, 16 oz doesn't seem like much. what should they drink instead of milk since they can't have formula? I know juice is a big no-no.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 2:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My DD went off formula right before she turned one and her doctor told me as long as she has her 6 oz cup of milk at breakfast she has cheese at lunch plus a little blends yogert she has veggies at supper just about every night so i would say look at what you give him/her throughout the day and if you feel that your child has had there share of calcium then that's great if you really need to know for sure what is the recommitted amount you could google it or call the doctors office.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• At that age he should be nursing a few times a day and drinking some water with meals. He should regulate how much milk he's getting himself. If he's not eating enough food then maybe cut back a little, drop a midday nursing session.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My daughters pediatrician told me that 16 oz of cows milk a day was sufficient. But if you can't get him to drink that much, you can substitute with other dairy like yogurts and cottage cheese.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• After that, they can have water. That is what they need to drink, not milk or juice.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My kids get a cup of milk with each meal and water throughout the day. Ocasionally gets juicy juice for lunch. so they get 16 to 24 oz of milk a day.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2010