Scapegoating

It looks like some of the dead sea life that was initially blamed on the oil spill was actually due to fishing nets. Wonder what other bad decisions will be swept under the oil spill? Politicians never let a good crisis go to waste, just like the embezzlement and fraud that was buried in Katrina. I wonder what else will get blamed on the spill.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/24/nation/la-na-oil-spill-turtledeaths-20100624

Shouldn't there have been some oversight, or at the very least a full examination of the turtles, before they ran out and yelled oil spill? They still don't know for sure until more tests come back, but I doubt if it is due to the shrimpers that it will show up anywhere before page 3.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I remember that story! I thought the same thing. And at first they DID report that the initial assessment was wrong.....then somehow a couple weeks went by and now the stories have gone back to the oil being the problem. I think that there WILL be a lot of this when it comes to animal deaths and claims for money ect......Wasnt it Rahm Emanuel that SAID "Cant let a good crisis go to waste. Thats fantastic >:(
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Sheesh!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Sure, there should be oversight? But whose going to watch the oversight committee?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Just about everything including George Bush. You just wait!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

***
    LOL...reminds me of the "Bee Watchers" in the Dr. Seuss book, "Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?"

"The Bee Watcher-Watcher watched the Bee Watcher.
    He didn’t watch well. So another Hawtch-Hawtcher
    had to come in as a Watch-Watcher-Watcher!
    And today all the Hawtchers who live in Hawtch-Hawtch
    are watching on Watch-Watcher-Watchering-Watch,
    Watch-Watching the Watcher who’s watching that bee.
    You’re not a Hawtch-Watcher. You’re lucky, you see!!!"

LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• What a surprise. They will blame everything they can on BP.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 5:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I am failing to feel outrage about this. "Investigators suspect that a last-minute shrimping season authorized after the April 20 blowout — and immediately before the first major wave of turtle deaths — could have led to the animals becoming trapped in trawlers' nets.
    But authorities have not ruled out the somewhat more remote possibility that a toxic algae bloom could have paralyzed the turtles and caused them to drown...The findings do not necessarily exonerate the oil spill. Many turtles covered heavily in oil probably sank to the bottom of the sea, scientists say. Others could have been weakened by ingesting oil or oil-soaked food."

So this inconclusive finding is that it may be only indirectly related to BP. That's not scapegoating, in my opinion. That's investigation.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/24/nation/la-na-oil-spill-turtledeaths-20100624 YOUR link, OP
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Somehow, I think anything and everything that goes wrong, no matter the how or why, will be blamed on BP. And if not BP, then Bush.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010