How old were you or your kids when they learned to swim?

I am just asking because I'm trying to figure out when is the normal age. Me and my husband were talking the other day about this because I was amazed that our two year old can swim really well by himself with just arm floats and he said that was normal most kids learn between 2 & 4 I didn't learn until I was 7.

mrsbean08

Asked by mrsbean08 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Mine was 4. I was like 9 or 10. LOL So, I made sure mine knew young.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My son is 4 and still learning. Being able to swim at age 2 is quite unusual I think, I don't know any toddlers who can swim with just arm floaties. I had swimming lessons in school at age 11 and about 1/3 of the kids in the class didn't know how to swim at the start of the year.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't remember learning how to swim.
    both of my boys are in swim lessons now. they are 4 and 5

But even infants know how to swim. If you start your child off in the water they never loose their ability to swim.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• And I mean he used no floaties and could dive as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Honestly, I think my son was born part fish. From the very first time I nervously put him in a swimming pool with me at 6 months old...he moved like he knew what he was doing. By age 1, we went to the beach and I had to keep pulling him out of the deep water! But he was swimming! I took him for lessons at age 6 but it only lasted maybe 2 sessions, he wanted to swim his way and he's really good at it..so I let it be.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Mine was 5. I bought that bathing suit from walmart with the float inside the back and front. It works for extra safety and... she was swimming on her own. I was so tickled and TOLD every body. You know mama has to tell EVERYBODY!
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• With arm floats? She learned age 2 & even could swim underwater pretty well... No training, just that we have a pool so we all become fish almost in the texas weather.. We thought by 3 (this year) she would be swimming pretty strongly, but she is still at the same level-wears floats most of the time or a water vest, and occasionaly will take them off & swim/dive underwater with us with her for fun, but she hasnt learned to float which is KEY... So we are thinking about swim lessons this year if we can ever afford it.

IDK when I learned but I was young. Ive always been a good swimmer & Ive never had "training" either.. Unless you call Dad throwing you into the deep end training! LOL (I was never in any harm really!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• DS learned at age 5. DD is 4 and is learning now.
    MommyBoha

Answer by MommyBoha at 2:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• lol sorry I mean when did they learn to go without arm floats.. I was just telling the story. I figure if he is swimming this good with them pretty soon he will be without thelm.
    mrsbean08

Comment by mrsbean08 (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010