Tubes in the ears

I asked a question reguarding tubes in the ear of an infant days ago. My hubby and I are back and forth on it. And haven't spoke with the pediatrician about it yet, waiting for the appointment. But what is the youngest they do this in babies? Our son is 8 months and has had 4 ear infections. The last one took almost a month and 3 round of antibiotics to clear it up, which wasn't the best thing in our minds to have his system taking in. Now with allergy season they are being affected. Poor little thing. And of course when he gets one, our 22 month old also has one. If I have one checked for something I always take the other....because chances are.... But how young do they do this procedure?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 2:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My friend's son had his done when he was 7 months...the doctor said it was one of the youngest he's done. My son had his done at 9 months. I would seriously look into controlling his allergies, DEMAND IT. I didn't know any better at the time, assuming that the doctor was always right. But, when the ENT specialist talked to me, he said that we probably could have prevented the surgery with control of his allergies, rather than treating the infections, PREVENT THEM. We have a new pediatrician that agreed with the scenario. My son takes allergy medications almost all year long and I have seriously changed cleaning habits and other lifestyle issues (he's got seasonal allergies). Good luck!
    mybratsmom

Answer by mybratsmom at 3:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It depends from doctor to doctor. They won't do tubes at my childs doctor until they have 5 ear infections in a set period of time. My stepdaughter who lives a few hours away had 1 ear infection and the doctor went ahead and put tubes in her ears and removed her tonsils and adnoids. Crazy huh.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 2:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't know, but have done an elimination diet? Dairy allergy could be an issue (possibly wheat)?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My oldest was a year old when she had hers done.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My story sounds EXACTLY like yours. He's 16 months now, but starting around when he was 4 months old, he just had ear infection after ear infection- about once a month, and a couple times, twice a month. We took my son to the ENT and he was ready to put tubes in right away. He said that the youngest he's done was 5 months old! We chose to wait it out a bit - I've read a few things that scare me, but I know a lot more people have had success than not. Good luck with your decision - it's a hard one that I'm still on the fence about.
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2010