Does your 3 year old listen to you?

My 3yo son used to be the sweetest mama's boy (still can be at times) but lately he is so bossy, demanding, defiant, etc. He won't listen to me without a screaming fit.

But when others watch him they tell me what an angel he is. He even listens to my husband easily. I'm not mean and I'm not a push over.

Is this some mama-independence assertion? Is it just a phase?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do pigs fly? I wish mine listened to me. SHe has selctive hearing just like her dad. She heras what she wants to hear and ignores the rest.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• ha i dont have a 3 yr old but my kids for the most point listen to me they are 4 and 1
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 2:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Could our kids be realated lol my dd (almost 4) is the same way
    bree_gabys_mom

Answer by bree_gabys_mom at 2:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• if you haven't gone threw this before then he is probably just starting his "troublesome toddler" stage. most people call it the terrible twos but really, it can start as soon as they are old enough to walk. or you can make it through age 2 just fine but hit the stage in the preschool yeras.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If he spends most of his time with you, then yeah it's an independence thing.
    At least he's good for others though, right? :-)
    Just stay consistent with the rules and expectations and he'll grow out of it soon. Been there, it's not too fun, but it doesn't last forever.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I hope it's just a phase. I am going through this with my 4 year old daughter, she has just been awful lately. Not listening, back talking, being mean to her peer's, extremely bossy. But my sister just had her for the weekend and told me she is very polite and I am doing a very good job with her?? I'm losing faith in my parenting skills, I am beginning to become embarrassed when she acts up when friends, family, and strangers are around.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• my son will be 3 in october. he also used to listen so well but now he won't listen a lot of the time :( *sigh* i just try to be consistent but disciplining a 2-3 year old is difficult too.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It may be because he feels safe with you to be able to act out. I would continue to be consistant in your discipline and remember that the more consistant you are in correcting his poor behavoir the more he is learning. Its nornal for them to test you, but you have to be consistant in discipline or the behavoir can get out of control. It also helps if you and your husband are on the same page with discipline as well, otherwise tehre will be confusion.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My dd is 3 and is the same way too. We've been working A LOT on time outs and being consistent and we've seen a change with her...she's still acting up, but not as bad and not as often as when she started this "phase". Hopefully the progress will continue lol
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Oooh the toddler stage - dont we just love it. My little angel is 3 too. Everyone loves her and she is soo good for her daddy. he didnt know how bad it was for me till he lived with us for 6 months. He says "I've never seen her like this" And he always thought I wanted to party when I'd asked him to take her so i could do homework!
    They are spreading thier wings and learning to be in control. You are the one they feel most comfortable with and will correct them when thier actions are not socially correct. Its good that he/she still behaves around others, be thankful and really learn and pay attention to what they do see and straighten up with. I usually count to three and my daughter knows something will happen. most of the time we have no clue what but 3 is a bad number :) and I always follow thru. that is the Key!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010