Adult Autism

My adult sister has always had some oddities about her and they are becoming more apparent. She is not transitioning well into adult life (22) and the family is worried and frustrated with her. My husband suggests that she may have and undiagnosed mild form of autism. I'm going to do more research to see if I agree, but do you think it would be worth mentioning? Would the hurt be worth the possible benefit? Is there any kind of therapy for her age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Health

• Therapy? i don't think she would need intervention but there are programs for people with high functioning ASD. My brother is 20 and has ASD high functioning. He is also not transitioning well. he wasn't diagnosed with ASD until he was 16.

As far as bringing it up with her. idk. perhaps you could encourage her to see a doctor for any kind of diagnosis. I'm sure she realizes that she has not adjusted to adulthood the way the majority does.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i went to the local autism meeting and parents of teen there, they had same question, the doctor said that yes, it is a good thing for their teen to know if she has, makes the young adult know why they are different and what a releif it can be to say "Oh, that is why_____"
    therapy? well maybe more like ways to deal with certain situations, so yes, therapy is available for adults
    high functioning autism, something called Aspergers (sp?)

do some research, it young adult has, it does not have to go on the permanent record, no real reason now that school age over, but excellent to have a name to something that she may know something makes her "different"
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It is definitely worth looking into. There are services for adults with Autism. Check into your area local Autism society or go to Autism Society of America.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't think therapy could help at her age. A diagnosis could help people with their expectations of her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• btw. she will receive more services if she is diagnosed with ASD and not aspergers or PDD-NOS
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2010