how to explain to young children that the family dog is dying?

my parents dog has a cancerous tumor in her throat and the vet gave her 2 days to 2 months. the dog is about 20 yrs old

the kids are 7 5 and 2.5

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• This hits very close to home for me. Our family dog died about 3 months ago. She had been ill for a while maybe years. We tried getting her help and the vet recommended we put her down because they didn't know what was wrong with her and the meds we were giving her were not working but we didn't. We were all at work, and she had been bleeding from her sores for a few days (but typically they always went away) she was sleeping in the garage, my husband took her outside, she looked at my husband and collapsed, she waited until someone came home to pass on. When my hubby told me I was crushed, so was he. I took the children out of school early and explained to them that Dina had passed away. We all cried, ALOT! She was a pitbull but she was a great, loving dog, she loved all of us, never would harm anything or anyone. I will continue...
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• awww, thats so sad. I'm so sorry to hear that. I have no idea how you would tell the kids, I just wanted to offer my sympathies...losing a family pet is like losing a family member. :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Well if you are religious you can tell them that when they get sick and go away they go to heaven. I dont think your 2 year old will understand at all but your 7 year old will. Im sorry your kids have to learn something like this so young.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• The best advice I can give is to be honest with your children and let them know that the dog is very sick and she may not be with you guys much longer but that you will always remember her. We told our kids it was ok to cry, she was very special to us. Dina came to our family when our 9 year old was a baby so they kinda grew up together and I think it has still until this day affected him the most. he still cries over her. Sometimes people don't realize how a pet is just as much a member of the family as a human. Good luck mama!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2010