what's the best way to potty-train a 26 month old girl who's clearly interested but can't figure out how to do it?

She's still in diapers and I know they hinder potty-training(learned this on my firstborn) but I know she's ready and she does too. She frequently asks to sit on the toliet AFTER she's pooped or peed in the diaperand then when I sit her on the toliet and ask her if she can go she looks down into the toliet a few minutes as if waiting on it to come, the says,"No, I want up" She wants changed right away when dirty, stays dry almost every night. She loves watching me use the bathroom and washing her hands with me in the sink. Training pants don't work well either so should I just put her in regular underwear and let her mess up the whole house?! We on't have the option of a fenced in back yard to run naked lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 27 months old and still wakes very very wet in the morning, he knows after he poops that he wants to be changed, he does have constipation issues where some days it takes him all day to poop.. but I think he doesn't know before he pee's - but I tried asking all the time or every 30 minutes or every 20 minutes after he drinks and he never wants to go to the toilet.. we've tried treats or M &M's and cheerios / cornflakes... he will go maybe 2 times a week if we constantly ask him but he really isn't able to pull his own pants down but I more than that think he just doesn't care -he wants to be changed after he poops but won't poop in the potty, would that mean I should hard core do underpants or wait til HE Wants to? sorry to use your question as another question
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If you really feel she is ready you could just put her in the training underwear that are thicker. They also sell plastic underwear covers to put over the training underwear to help keep the mess in that area. Every child is different though, so finding what will work depends on her. My middle child who is a huge candy monster, so I bought small candies put it in a jar and told her she gets one piece for going pee in the toilet and two for going poop in the toilet. She was completely potty trained in about a week and a half. And once the jar was empty that was it with the "potty bonbon" as we called it. Other things that might help her is having her sit on the potty first thing in the morning. Also if she goes poop around the same time everyday you can try to get her on the potty before she goes in her diaper. This also helped me with my two girls. Good luck :)
    ProudScoutWife

Answer by ProudScoutWife at 3:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'm struggling to get my 23 month old potty trained too. We have mostly tile in our house, so I let her run around without a diaper on most of the time. She'll hold it until I put a nap, or bedtime dipe on her. Or she'll go sit on the potty, get down, then pee on my floor. UGH.

What i've heard worked the best though was setting a timer. Every 10-20 minutes take her to the potty, and have her sit there for a few minutes. Consistency really is the key...but it's hard to be consistent with stubborn potty trainees lol. Most people say NOT to offer a reward for going potty or poo in the toilet, but i'm desperate enough to try it at this point!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would devote a couple of days, let her run around naked and put the potty in the living room. Have her sit on it every hour. When she does pee or poop give her a sticker, lots of praise. If she has an accident remind her we go pee-pee on the potty and sit her on it.
    I did this for 2 days straight with my daughter.
    Day 3 I put her in panties and did the same thing. I would remind her every 15-20 mins that we don't pee-pee on the 'floor/couch/mommy's chair/ etc....Day 5 I put her in clothes and moved the potty to the bathroom. I still took her every hour.
    She has been trained since February, but tends to still have accidents on occasion which I just remind her we pee/poop on the potty.
    You could also make a game out of it. If she fights you and doesn't want to sit, just tell her she has to try and lets count to 10 and then you can get up.
    Wistful

Answer by Wistful at 5:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010