My little brother's 18th b-day party

My little brother is turning 18 and having a 'kegger' for his b-day. He has invited a lot of his friends which includes my ex-husband. My ex husband and my SO are not on good terms. I want to go to his party but if my SO knows my ex is going he will lose it. How do I handle this, or should I just not go?

allfiller

Asked by allfiller at 3:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• If you want to go, then you should go. I would go even if my brother invited my ex. Because in the end, your brother will ALWAYS be your brother. You will especially want to spend that time with him before he goes off for the Marines.

As for your SO, you need to tell him that your ex was INVITED and that he is welcome to go too ONLY IF HE CAN ACT LIKE AN ADULT. The party has nothing to do with your ex or your SO, so both should be expected to spend their time with your brother.

NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 3:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'd skip it based solely on the type of party and tell your folks what your brother is planning. If it were a different type of party I'd talk to your brother and tell him you and your husband will not be attending if your ex is going to be there.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If you're ok with going to a "kegger" for an 18 year old, then ask your brother to uninvite your ex. Inviting your sibling's ex is very rarely cool. If your current SO is a serious boyfriend, then I would tell your brother this causes a problem for the two of you. If your current SO is not a serious boyfriend, then go alone..
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

This exactly.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Well that depends on you. Do YOU want to go? If you do then you need to tell your SO that he is going to have to keep his cool at the party. That's what an adult does. If you don't want to go then tell your little brother that you will do something together in celebration of his birthday. Fix him his favorite meal and invite him over. It's your call. Don't let someone else make it for you.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 3:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Like I said in my post, I do want to go. The party is 6 hours away from where I live so I will have to drive in and stay the night... I can't just have my brother stop by for dinner. My brother is also leaving (Marines) on the 25th of July and this would be the last time I get to see him before he goes...

I really want to be there, but if I bring my SO, there will be trouble and if I go without him there will be even more trouble...
    allfiller

Comment by allfiller (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010