black widow spiders?

I just killed a female black widow spider that was right outside our screen door. Im wondering if they live near other black widows or are very territorial like some spiders. My worry is that I may have more of them in my yard and their bites can be very dangerous to our toddler or our cat.

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2008 in Pets

• Black Widows like to make webs in areas that are undisturbed. There must also be a food source. You can buy a home insect spray - ready to use - that would accomplish the same thing the pest control operator would do. Just get one that says crawling insects on it - it should list spiders. Spiders are territorial so when you remove one - another will move in if conditions are good - food, shelter, etc. It may not necessarily be another black widow though. I would spray in the garage around the baseboards. Clear up any clutter if there is any. And keep boxes to a minimum so the black widows don't have any place to hide. they don't like being out in the open.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2008

• - People rarely die from black widow spider bites, since the amount of venom injected is so small.
    -The adult female black widow is venomous. Males and juveniles are usually harmless, having smaller quantities of venom as compared to the female.
    -The black widow spider is nocturnal, and will generally only attack when disturbed or touched.
    -You will find black widow spider most often in dark, hidden places, like garages, sheds, or woodpiles. Webs are usually near the ground.
    -The best way to keep black widow spiders away is to keep areas clean and free of webs. The spiders prey on insects like crickets and roaches, so if you regularly rid your property of insects you will have fewer black widow spiders.
    -Common insecticides may or may not be helpful. Check all labels before using commercial insecticides, especially if you have small children or pets. When in doubt, contact your local exterminator.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2008

• By the way i am just listing stuff that I have found on different websites...none of these quotes are my words.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2008

• a product called Cyper WP, which is a white powder insecticide you dilute with water and apply with a garden sprayer. ( same as DEMON WP or CYNOFF WP ) Search CYPER WP on GOOGLE This product is recommended for spider control, and it serves as a good all-around pest control agent as well. I purchased it from Pro Pest Products just outside of Atlanta, GA on the web. www.doyourownpestcontrol.com they had good prices and very fast shipping. Their number is 1-800-476-3368
    Once dry, it remains active for about six months or so, according to the online product reviews I read. It also claims to be rather pet-safe after it is dry.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2008

• So thats what I could dig up for you, hopefully all of that helps :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2008

• If you don't have a pest control service I would suggest getting one. We have brown recluse spiders and black widows in my area and now is the time of year they love. My bug guys every 3 months and if I have problems in between treatments I call him and he takes care of it for me. I dont know if they are territorial or not but a pest control service would. Hope this helps and good luck to ya.
    fbic72

Answer by fbic72 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2008

• You probably do have more of them. They are territorial, but the territories are fairly small. Luckily black widows aren't very agressive. You really have to bug one to get it to bite. Just check all the dark crevices and look for them in the house and yard.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2008

• yeah you have more nbear by RAID bee and wasp killer that shoots twenty feet works for the ones around my house. They have aslo identified a BROWN widow spider down here in Georgia. keep a can of Raid near your doors.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2008