Do you make sure to put sun block on your older kids too?

I have a 10 year old and a 16 month old. (i've said that on here a million times, I'm sure eeryone knows by now,lol)
Anyway...I realized that I am more adament about putting sunblock all over the baby than my older child. He's tan already. I do try to have him put it on but that kids in a rush to get out the door and then I end up forgetting.
I made him put it on his face and shoulders today though. He doesnt get sun burnt, he's pretty dark already. (i'm jealous, I want a tan,lol)
But the baby is so fair skinned, I cover her from head to toe.

Anyway... am I the only one? I was think ing of this this morning, how I used to always make sure he was covered head to toe too. I know its still important but for some reason its just escapes my mind. Wish he would remind me, but he doesnt like to be bothered with it,lol.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I only have the one kid who is 5, but my 9 1/2 year old sister is here all the time and I make sure they are both covered with it. I spray it on about 30 minutes before we go out and reapply several times. It drives my sister crazy, she thinks that since she's so old she doesn't need it. I just remind her of our mom's half brother who died from skin cancer and she stands still.
    Sounds mean, but it works and keeps her safe.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes. Tan skin is damaged skin. Much higher chances for skin cancer in life. I am very particular with putting it on all of us, including my dd who has a naturally tan complexion thanks to my hispanic dh!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yep, if we're headed outdoors for the day or afternoon, everyone puts it on. I'll do my 4yo, my 7 and 12yo's will do their arms and leg and torsos and I'll help them with their backs and faces.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My DD, 17, I stopped worrying about. She knows she burns and almost refuses to put it on. I do try to remind her when I can. My boys, 16&11, I remind them more often, although we just went out today for 2 hours and I didn't even think about it. Luckily, no one is burnt.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Absolutely! If I didn't my fair-skinned 12 y/o dd would get burned everytime she stepped outside. I have to since she can't be bothered with it.... tweens *sigh*
    Serenity75

Answer by Serenity75 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Dont forget the top of the ears and the neck!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 4:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I make my oldest responsible for her own sunblock. She burns easily, so she usually does a good job remembering her sunblock. I do buy the spary on kind to make it easier, and that has helped her compliance rate a lot.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I put it on all of my children, even my older one.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010