Public laundry

We have hard water and use the public laundry facility.
For a family of 3 we have alot of clothes (especially my 7 y.o.)

For years dh was doing his laundry at his pt job so I was only spending $4/week to wash (we line dry inside and in our basement)

Now there is new management at his pt job and they have asked that he not do laundry there.

So now we spend atleast $10/week doing laundry.

If you use public laundry facilities or even at home and are trying to save on the money spent in the public facilities or save on the energy/water used to wash clothes at home....

what are some tips you can share.

Do you handwash some clothes? If so which ones?

Do you wear some clothing more than once? (easier for us than children)

thanks for sharing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We all wear our jeans 2 or 3 times. It's easier with my kid, she's a total neat freak, and eats cleaner than most adults. :-)
    We will sometimes sleep in the same tshirts that we wore that day if we were inside and not sweating all that much.
    We use the bigger washers at the laundry mat. They cost more to use, but fit more in them and it's money saved once you figure out how much you would have spent on the small ones to wash the same amount of clothes.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I just read an article that is somewhat related. Bras can be worn up to 3 times before needing washed (unless obviously they are dirty or sweaty) They just need 24 hours between wear. Pants can be work 2-3 times prior to wash. As far as handwashing, oviously anything "gentle" can be hand washed. I usually hand wash my lingerie.

As far as other tips. You are already drying your clothing at home, so that eliminates dryer tips. Some places will give you "bonus" money from the coin machine (ie you stick 1 dollar in you get the equal in quarters, however if you stick in a 20 you might get an extra dollar or more worth of quarters) Not all are like that, but we have seen quite a few in our travels. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions for the wash. Sorry.
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 4:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yeah I wear clothes several times if they aren't too dirty. I also make my own laundry detergent. Spending about $10 for ivory soap, borax and washing soda will make about 20-25 GALLONS of detergent....lasts for years. And I use vinegar in the rinse cycle as fabric softener and line dry outside whenever I can.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010