If you find out during pregnancy that the baby has down syndrome, would you have the baby?

I know this is a weird and harsh question, but i'm curious. I opted in for the special testing to find out if my baby has any defects or any level of down syndrome and I guess I just want to know what other mom's would do...

allfiller

Asked by allfiller at 3:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes I would have the baby. I thought my first child had down syndrome. Doctor told me she did and we decided to have her anyway. Upon further testing we learned that she was fine. I have never had the test since. Doesn't matter to me.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 4:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Keep it. My son asked me a question last night about how I would feel about if my baby was found to have no brain, would I still go through with it. I said I would. Why, because even if they only live a second..it was one second of time we spent together and happy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No question I would, down syndrome babies and chilldren and even adults are the sweetest creatures out there, loving and care free.

Answer by older at 4:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Thats a tough one to answer...and one I thought I may have been faced with, with my last pregnancy. My daughter had a calcium deposit on her heart which is one marker for down syndrome found on her ultrasound. I cried and worried so much. I looked up all the info that I could find on downssyndrome. Her daddy made me stop being so fanatic about finding out all this stuff about it, he said it wouldnt matter to him either way...that he wouldnt' want me to abort the baby if in fact they found her to have downsyndrome before she was born. I, on the other hand was unsure if I could be as strong. I still don't have an answer to what I would have done. Fortunately, she never got any more markers for downs while I was pregnant, so I really didn't have to make that final decision.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• definitely. a baby is a baby. i didn't even get the DS test done, not only because i'm under 35, but also because i know it wouldn't change the love i have for that child. if the dr is concerned and wants to test for something that i would need to be aware of to keep the baby healthy, i would do the test, but not to decide whether or not to keep the baby.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 4:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i do not know
    have one child and had testing, first test showed low numbers-bad result, went for amino = more accurate
    showed no downs, but after first test which showed good sign that there would be downs there was a week of waitng, and lots of time to think
    i tryed NOT to think what i would do, and just tryed to stay positive
    my daughter is now three and she is getting tested for autism, she will have just a matter of doctor saying so
    and i would never think of not having her, so i would hope that i would have been faithful to my heart and had a child that i knew had medical issues, along with social hurdles because of our society
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would keep my child they say God dosent make mistakes and every child is a blessing from God...
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 4:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Absolutely. My older son has severe special needs. (I'm his adoptive mother). And during his pregnancy they had an amnio and everything, and they said he was perfect... (In my opinion he IS! lol, but after 4 brain surgeries and being forever stuck as a giant toddler, I know those tests mean nothing). With my second son, (biological), I opted out of any testing except for one ultrasound because I knew I wouldn't do an amnio or anything that could put the baby at risk and I would NEVER abort a special needs child, I love BOTH of my children with my entire heart and soul! The only reason I agreed to an u/s was because we planned a home birth, and we wanted to see if there was some obvious reason we should deliver in a hospital. (Which we ended up doing anyways because he was premature)
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If I was really early in the pregancy, like less than 12 weeks, I would have the abortion.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 4:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'd have it. If for no other reason than the tests are never 100% accurate. And even if it was, I'd still have the baby.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010