when you get medicade when your pregnant you have to pay it back?

or half of it something like that? because im trying to get medicade and the lady just told me i gotta pay it or half of it back..... and i have to pick on of their doctors! i live in indiana BTW any advice

Rachelxbby

Asked by Rachelxbby at 4:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Never heard of paying it back. I have heard of the bio dad paying it back not the mom unless she wasn't eligible for it. I had medicaid in Indiana and didn't pay anything back.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• When I got medicaid I did not have to pay anything back at all. I did not have a co-pay on anything either. I would suggest talking to someone else in the DHS office about that.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If that's how your state health insurance program works. Usually you have a co-pay though, you don't reimburse the governement for services.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• p.s. You DO have to use their doctors though. Many doctors don't accept medicaid

Answer by admckenzie at 4:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Not to my knowledge, but it may vary by state. I know here (NC) unless its changed, you do not have to pay it back and most of the drs take medicare. I go to a very upscale OB and they still take medicade.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• well yea she said when i signed the paper i signed that the dad would pay it back... but how can i just sign his money away like that and were still together?
    Rachelxbby

Comment by Rachelxbby (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Apparently it is called spend down. You do not have to pay for spend-down at the time of service as long as you are seeing a Medicaid provider. The Medicaid provider will bill Medicaid for the service, regardless of if your spend-down has been met yet or not. Your provider will bill you for the service after Medicaid has been notified that the service was provided.
    http://member.indianamedicaid.com/resource-center/faq-member-.aspx#spend%20down
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Did you include his income on the form. My husband had a girl friend whom he had a baby with. She went and applied for Medicaid during her pregnancy. She stated she lived with her mother and father and never included his income on the form, even though she was living him. (her parents had her also apply for food stamps and she would not have qualified with his income) He aslo could not put her on his insurance from work due to the fact they were not married. When they split up she started her own case and wham bam. We had to pay back all of the medicaid, even though they would have qualified at the time based on his income. It wasnt worth fighting. But yes, you have signed it and they will get it......one tax check at a time if they have to. Unless he is on there with his income.
    ambernicole531

Answer by ambernicole531 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We did not have to pay it back in Colorado.
    karina400

Answer by karina400 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It all depends on your states policy. Ask for a copy of the policy, they have to supply the info.
    Nemhs

Answer by Nemhs at 11:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2010