SAHMs

How will you support yourself and your child(ren) if you suddenly divorced or - heaven forbid - something happened to your SO?

Serenity75

Asked by Serenity75 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have a degree, quite a few years of work experience, and plenty of contacts and I'd find a job. If he dies, he has life insurance and we could get SSI survivor's benefits. I'm not worried even though anything can happen. Our bills are very manageable on one income.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If my children are under age then I will file for SSI death benefits that they are entitled to.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I got my degree in Studio Arts, so I would make pots. Pottery is a sell-able art, unlike paintings and other art mediums, people buy pottery because it has a practical use. I haven't made any pottery since my youngest was born, but it is a good thing to fall back on and I can do it when I have the time for it, so I would not have to put the kids in daycare.
    I have never had a problem selling my work.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'm going to school as we speak to be a nurse, so is DH. If he were to die, we have life insurance to hold me through the rest of school at least. My parents would take us in, and so would his if it came down to him dying. I'm also a florist, so I would probably do flowers out of my home, for weddings, etc.
    How would you?
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Well, his life insurance would go toward monthly bills(after paying for funeral costs) until I found a decent job. I also have wonderful parents and inlaws that would help out with our son if/when needed.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I was in the nuclear power program in the Navy and have a lot of friends that work in civilian nuclear power plants throughout the country. That is my fall back plan if something were to happen.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would figure it out then.. Im not about to quit my SAHM job & throw away the way my family runs "just incase" something happens to my hubby/ we divorce (not seeing that anytime soon) ....
    Really the "what if" scenarios can go in so many different directions I cant let it control my life...
    :-)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Are you implying that SAHMs do not know how to take care of themselves and children? I think we will do great because my husband is the big spender and I am more conservative with money.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Ummmmm.... noooooo, Brickhouse95. Don't get your panties in a bunch. I am a proud housewife and dedicated homemaker and sahm to 3 and loving wife. So I am NOT "implying that SAHMs do not know how to take care of themselves and children"... If I was that would be pretty hypocritcal of me, now wouldn't it? Chill out, stop being so defensive, and judgemental. The ONLY reason I ask is because I am interested in my fellow houswives/homemakers/SAHMs' lives and I often wonder about the "what if's" and wanted to find out if anyone else has a "back-up plan." *SHEESH*
    Serenity75

Comment by Serenity75 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My husband is heavily insured through his work plus we have taken out several policies on our own. If he were gone, we would be set for life.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:02 AM on Jun. 26, 2010