Since this question was closed suddenly: Why do parents leave kids in car?(continued)

I will never understand why parents do this, but I do know it is against the law and the maximum penalty in my state of Virginia is having your child taken, or worse. Some parents go as far as leaving the doors locked, windows rolled up, and no ac running. It is child abuse, and it is wrong, and it is happening everyday in our country.

ambr2006

Asked by ambr2006 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have no idea why. I would like to see how others answer this question. I work in a daycare and often we see parents leaving (other) kids in the car, sometimes with the engine running. I have called the local police and asked them to sit out there and talk to parents, because they don't want to listen to little old me.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I dont have a clue why people do that. Just the other day there was a case here where a guy left his 16month in a car while he ran into to walmart to get a drink and then again at the gas station. Someone had called the police and he got taken to jail and dcs was called in. The mother came to pick her child up and they had scheduled a home visit with her at that point in time. I think its sad how parents can neglect their children like that. I know its hard to some of the things you need to get done taggin a kiddo a long with you, but thats what being a parent means. TAGGING ALONG YOUR CHILD..I would never leave my son alone. When he goes somewhere with my husband I call to make sure he remembers to get him out of his carseat. I know it irritates my husband, but I dont care and he has slowly learned why I do that.If you're not use to having your child with you, then you tend to forget and I dont want that happening.
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would never do that with my children. I highly disagree with parents who do it.. even if it is "just for a second". Anything could happen.. from the heat to other people who want to your child or car.. too dangerous and so not worth the risk. My mother did that ALL the time to me as a young child.. but she would leave me for around 30mintes at a time..
    Im glad it is illegal...
    its child endangerment
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• The reason people do it is convenience. Whether it is right or wrong would have to depend on a million things. I personally feel under certain circumstances that it is ok. (not hot, not cold, no car running, rural, safer area, not keys, no way to change gears, etc....) I know you all disagree with me, but I think people have become a little overly concerned about a lot of things. I know you have at least thought what a pain it was to tote 3 kids into a store just to put your movie in the drop box...
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 4:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Parents are too lazy to get their child out of the car seat and drag them along.  It only takes a second for something bad to happen why risk it??

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 5:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would never do it either, and you guys are right, it only take a second to unstrap them.
    ambr2006

Comment by ambr2006 (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have no idea and every day I start to think we need to make tests for people to pass before they go having kids. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that if you leave your child in a 110 degree car for 30 mins, that they might not be okay when you come back. Heck sometimes when I get in my car to go somewhere after it sitting it the heat for awhile, I can barely breathe! People are purely lazy and stupid. Concerned with only themselves and their own convience. Its so sad for the poor children that have to suffer because they were born to such a ignorant and selfish human being.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It all depends on the age of the child & where you live. I do leave my kids in the car when I run in to a store or post office. They are older, 9, 10, & 12. I also live in a small town with little crime.

Leaving an infant or toddler in the car for any length of time is wrong and dangerous.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I've done it to pay for gas, when 1 or more is asleep, and I park directly outside the door nearest the register. 3 sleeping kids involves a lot more than a second, and it's not against the law if its under 5 minutes (in TX)
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 10:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yeah, running in to pay for gas at your pump is one thing, but going into Walmart is another since it takes a lot longer and the parking lot is definitely out of your sight line.

I don't get my girls out when I pay for gas. I usually pay at the pump, the only time i go in is when I have cash or the pump debit thingy is down.
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 12:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2010