Moving In With A Parent

Have you ever had to move back in with your parent(s)after you were married?

If so, how did it go? Was it super stressful or did it go more smoothly then you anticipated?

Did it strengthen or weaken your relationship with your parent? Your spouse?

Amaranth361

Asked by Amaranth361 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• We have lived with both sets of parents since we've been married. With the in-laws it wasn't too difficult, a little awkward, but we soon moved into our own place (after 4 months). With my parents it was a bit more of a hassle, their house is a bit smaller, we had two kids (instead of one, like when we were at in-laws), and my older brother was still living at home. We were there for six months while we saved up and looked for a home, I think that is the only thing that made it bearable we were actively looking to move out. I don't know that it necessarily strengthened relationships (we were already close to our families), but it certainly hasn't made it any worse.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• oh man, i'd probably kill myself.
    My parents come to visit every couple of months and after a few weeks we're at each others' necks. No joke....I'd die. I think if things got bad enough they'd let us and we'd do it for a place to stay while we got back on our feet, but it would be hard to live with them!!!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We moved in with my parents when my son was a year old. We were moving back across country, needed to get jobs and find a place to live. We stayed for about 4 months. It was very stressful on my dh, but I think my parents and son did great.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i moved back in with my parents after i'd been on my own 18 years... i moved across the country. god, i wanted to slit my throat... it wasn't good. i wasn't married. a friend of mine moved in with her husband and in-laws for a few months - they did fine. they're now glad to be on their own.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We actually moved in with my inlaws. It was...rough doesnt begin to described the way it was. I was expected to do all the housework and cooking. Never seemed I could do it well enough,either. My mother in law has never been satisfied with me being my husbands wife,so can you imagine me doing her laundry and the cookign for her,too. I think she insisted on me doing it to give her something to complain about. LOL. Needless to say,we got out asap!
    phall1069

Answer by phall1069 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We're actually living with my parents now. He was planning on going into the Air Force, and had enlisted and everything - was just waiting for his job booking and his ship out date for training - and they decided, after 6 months of his year in DEP that they didn't want him because of the tattoo he's had since before he even started the process.
    At first we stayed with his parents, but his MIL really hurt my feelings, cause she likes to talk crap behind people's backs, and he told me she was even saying crap to HIM about me (none of it true, and he even tried to correct her on it) - and it got to the point where I knew I wasn't wanted there, so I came to my parents (the plan was for me to be with them by the time he went to training anyway) and he followed shortly after (because his mother was even getting to him). Its been fine here, other than my mom thinking she has to be all in our financial business, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You have to understand, though, that my MIL is still mad at me because even though I compromised and said she could come to our wedding (we did a small, intimate thing with just two witnesses and even my family didn't come), she decided not to go because she couldn't' have her way and bring her huge family (DH has 5 siblings) when she tried to pressure me into it the morning of our wedding. She now claims its all my fault she didn't get to go.
    She also hates that I don't believe the same way they do. Even though I'm a Christian the fact that I'm not a right wing fundamentalist gay hater kills her, and she hates that I'm putting my husband's salvation at risk.
    Then she doesn't agree with the way our relationship works (even if I'm still submissive) - and she just looks for anything to judge someone on, whether its true or not (for example, thinking I still want back with my awful ex - who is dating DH's cousin).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2010