Vit D level low and possible anemia

My son was diagnosed with low vit. D level when he broke his arm. Recently he has had a craving for ice. I know that ice cravings can be a sign of anemia. Has anyone had a child with both these deficiencies and what did they do about it?

2plus1angel

Asked by 2plus1angel at 5:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Health

• VItamin D deficiency is called Rickets, and it causes the softening and weakening of weight bearing and other major bones in the body.

Fortunately, it can be quickly and easily corrected! Providing your son with calcium, phosphorus, or vitamin D enriched drinks and foods will eliminate most symptoms of rickets. Vitamin D can be found in fish, liver, and milk. Childrens multi-vitamins--liquid, chewables, and tablets are a good alternative if your child is a picky eater, or is lactose intolerant. Exposure to moderate amounts of sunlight is encouraged.

I believe Anemia (low hemoglobin--oxygen carrying blood cells) can occur if the Rickets is not addressed quickly.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have a low vitamin D level (33% of normal). My doctor prescribed a vit D replacement pill (calciferol) which has 50000 units of vit D for a couple of weeks. Going after July 1 to have blood retested.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 6:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2010