Dealing with ADD/ADHD with step-son

My 21 yr old step-son was diagnosed years ago but his birth mom took him off his meds when my husband was deployed. He was never put back on meds. My s.s. works fulltime & helps my husband with outside chores but he will not do anything that I ask him to do but if I mentions Dad's name, he will do it. He has an issue with listening to women.

Last night he kicked our dog in the head & when confronted on it, his response as to why he did it was "I don't know". I know he needs help but I don't know what he needs. I feel it should be my husband to do whatever needs to be done as I have only been with him for 2 years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am close to the end of what I can handle here.

MrsWolfe85

Asked by MrsWolfe85 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Talk to your husband and let him talk to his son; you are right that this does need to come directly from his dad. He may need meds even as an adult, and if he's never learned how to function normally he may need to visit with a therapist. If he isn't willing to give meds and/or therapy a try he may need a little tough love to force him to decide where his life is going. It sounds like he is living with you, and if that's the case then I think it's time to give him notice to find his own place.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2010