Does anybody agree with spanking while trying to potty train?

My MIL & SIL spank my niece which will be 3 in Sept. if she says she has to use the potty and don't and then does it in the diaper. They also make her sit on the toilet FOREVER making her try to use it & she usually can't! My MIL once told my daughter when she was smaller that she use to spank her dad (my hubby) when he was little if he done it in his diaper & was trying to scare my DD. It pissed me off! I think you should not use spanking (and I do believe in spanking) or negative reinforcement while potty training. I did not push my daughter. She led the way & when she decided it was time she never wore diapers again! Am I the only one that don't think this is right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• NO I do not, its like spanking someone who is trying to learn how to read or write....its a process that takes practice, it is NOT a kid misbehaving or acting out!

Nothing to be spanked about, not even close!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Potty training should be as positive an experience as possible. I can't imagine spanking over something like an accident, and I do spank when needed. This is way overboard IMO.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• NO! if i would have seen that i would've called CPS on their ass... it should be fun, and positive experience
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 5:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It is so wrong to spank a child for having an accident.  I just heard on the news yesterday how a 25 year old mom of three only gave her children a cup of water every eight hours and did not feed them because she did not like cleaning up soiled sheets.  Her two year old child was found chained to his crib, this moms reasoning was so that he would not wonder off when she was sleeping.  This is so wrong!!

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 5:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Spanking for making a mistake while the child is trying to learn is a horrible idea and will create all kinds of issues later in life. You shouldn't create fear over bodily functions.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 5:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• How sad you should never do this.
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 5:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• They're pathetic. I don't believe in spanking at all, it's barbaric, but especially barbaric and cruel to use as punishments for something she has no control over. Sick whack jobs.
    LilyJaneC

Answer by LilyJaneC at 5:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• If she is gonna potty train then take the diaper off!! No I do not agree with spanking! Tht is just wrong. How can they spank her for tht when all she knows is to P/Poo in them diapers. She is not gonna learn not too if they keep them on... JMO'
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 6:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2010