Does your belief system allow for differences in opinions between believers?

Okay, let me explain. Many times you'll see people ask on here "What is (insert religion) and what do they believe?" For Pagans and some other paths that is a complicated question because every Pagan has different beliefs... While with other religions or sectors of religion beliefs are denoted by the teachers of that religion. For example ALL JWs are firm on the no blood rule, variations in belief would separate them as non-JW...

For me this has always been hard because I am always thinking (and over thinking) about everything and I like to questions rules.

So my question is Is your path simply "black and white" or are their shades of gray? And what is your religion?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In Heathenry, I think of it more like a sliding scale, or rather a grid with two intersecting sliding scales. One is a range of folkishness or universalism, the other is reconstrictionism or eclecticism. Everyone falls at a point on both scales, and groups form where the most people bunch up. Some extremes have issues with the others, but ultimately, the majority don't fall at any of the 4 extremes, and if they do, their position on the other scale tempers it. There are certain positions I take serious issue with (mainly the one that is born out of prison gangs), but it's not my place to tell them they cannot practice, any more than it's theirs to complain about my views. That doesn't mean some of them wouldn't, but again, they're not the majority and their position is not backed up by any legitimate text.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Well...my religion is simple...what's taught in the bible..I go to a Methodist Church...as long as someone doesn't force their belief's down my throat...I'm ok with it. I know everyone is different. I don't force my beliefs on them, but, I will not allow bashing for my own beliefs. I think each person's belief's are their own journey...what is right for them, may not be right for others. I don't think I see it as black or white....I see it with living life as a Celebration according to God's laws. Now, I don't agree with certain things....my focus will be on God, my church, my family and whatever else comes next....like me or hate me...don't care....
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 5:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• As a Byzantine Catholic, even though we practice differently than the Roman Catholics we still recognize the Pope and believe the same doctrine. Some people will say they are (for example) "pro-choice" Catholics. But if you are really a Catholic you HAVE to be pro-life because the teachings of the church say that abortion is wrong under every circumstance. So although some people think there is gray..it's really mostly black and white. But lucky for us our God is loving and merciful even when we don't always get it right.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 5:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think that in my path there are definitely shades of gray. There has to be because there are so many different religions out there and there are good and bad in all of them. I also believe (even within my family and church family) that people are all on their own spiritual journey. Some get there sooner than others.

I am Catholic.
    peace1234

Answer by peace1234 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• personally, i believe there are a limited number of B & W in anything. certain things are universal-certain religions may claim them, but really..... the rest is a jumbled mess of various ideas/persuasions that may or may not have clingers attached to them. imo, that's where the various denominations/religions/paths come from.
    you can make a policy/treaty that forms one religion, one denomination, but you can't control each member's heart/soul/mind. i prefer to define 'fellowship' as ''a meeting of like-minded INDIVIDUALS". don't get me wrong: there are always those in any group that may say everyone HAS to be on the same page, or they are truly part of that group..but..whatever. JMO (xtian)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• **or they AREN'T truly part of the group** (dang, where's an edit button?)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Shades of gray but there are usually a few key things people will agree on(like a Goddess not a God or just a God),etc.

Im eclectic Wiccan.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I am a Christian and I believe there are big "T" Truths and little "t" truths. The big "T" Truths are non-negotiable in order to truly be called a Christian. The little "t"s are no less important and no less true, but there is more wiggle room for variation of beliefs. For example, how a person is saved is a big "T" truth - through faith alone, by grace alone, in Christ alone. A little "t" truth would be a person's view on the end times or method of baptism.
    solamama

Answer by solamama at 5:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I was raised RC, but have since decided that the Golden Rule represents my belief system much better. I am very open
    Minded.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Yes, mine does.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010