My son is a budding architect. Any suggestions for helping him along?

He is 11 and loves architecture. He is constantly making blue-prints, borrowing architect books from the library, and building houses from his blue-prints. I do not know much about this subject but I know that there has to be someone out there who does and would be able to give me a suggestion on how I can help him to learn more. Is there any computer software I can buy for him? What type of material do architects need/use? I will take any and all suggestions because he really likes doing this and he is really good.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• That's awesome! You might check into summer youth programs at any colleges in your area. If you don't have any colleges near you or the ones in your area don't offer youth programs you still might make some contact with the Architecture department and see if anyone there can give you some ideas. You might also find out about opportunities through a professional journal such as Architectural Digest. You might even call a local architectural firm and see if anyone there has any ideas for you.  Also, keep doing what you are doing!  You can never go wrong encouraging your child's natural talents and interests. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I don't know, but I gave you a bump!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i just saw the coolest thing at a garage sale last weekend - it was an architectural model playset thing... very cool - if i'd have bought it i'd send it to you. i think etoys has some kind of search function based on a child's interests. i'm not sure if architects use CAD, but i'm a graphic artist and i like to build things and found it somewhat boring (granted i didn't know what i was doing). there's probably something that's made for someone with the interest but not so technical it takes the fun out of it.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010