During an Interview are you required to tell them you are pregnant?

I have a job interview coming up and I just found out that I am pregnant. I'd say I am about 6-7 weeks along. Do I have to tell them I am pregnant during my interview? Is it the law? I live in CA if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• Nope and by law they aren't allowed to ask.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 5:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No you don't have to tell them and they can't ask. But IMO it would be dishonest not to tell them.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would not tell if you're so early into the stage. If you want the job, just keep it to yourself.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I've interviewed people and although we didn't ask, it would be appreciated to know up front. Depending on the job requirements they should be able to find someone who is going to be able work at a 100% capacity. Are there any physical requirements? So also look at it in the perspective of the employer. Good luck with both.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It depends on your state. Here in PA, we are required to tell them. It's considered a "pre-existing disability" and if you don't and are hired, they can fire you for not telling them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• No, you dont have to tell them but you should. Time it right. During one interview the guy said he had to talk to the GM, but he was sure that I was hired so i told him that I thought he should know that I was pregnant. He said he didn't care. Oh and I got the job.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 8:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Nope.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2010