7 and 5 year old going to new school this year...how do we make the transition easier?

We're moving to a new city, so our 7 and 5 year olds will be going to a new school. I don't think our youngest will have an issue as she is a social butterfly and loves people. Our oldest is a bit socially...inept. She is a strong leader, and i'm pretty sure has control issues. How do we work with her this summer to help her better transition to a new school, with new kids? She's going into 2nd grade, so some of the kids will probably be pretty close. She's seen a school counselor to help with her social-behavioral issues, but only ended up getting worse. I just want this to be easy for her.

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make arrangements with the school to have your children visit and check it out--BEFORE school begins! See if you and your children can meet their teacher's before school begins during the teacher orientations (about a week before school starts). If she will be walking talk to other neighbors and see if they will walk with her. If she'll be riding the bus, wait with her at the bus stop for at least the first week or so, to help her make friends.

Consider hosting your own "meet and greet" party at your home and invite the neighbors--especially those with children around your childrens' ages. Get yourself involved with the PTO and have your children participate in all of the social get togethers the school offers--like ice cream socials, parents nights out (where the kids hang out supervised at the school and watch movies, play games, and eat popcorn and snacks).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We're going through this too!!!! I was lucky and the house that we bought is in the same school district as 3 of our friends who have children the same age as our oldest and will all be going into the second grade together. We are doing some summer sports things through the school and Y so they can get to know some of the other children the same age as them. We have already drove them past the school and let them come into the office with me when I went to let the school know that they will be new students this coming year also. They are starting to get excited since they are already making friends and getting to know the area this summer before school starts. Unfortunately we live in a rural area so there aren't any neighbors for us to meet with other children the same age.

fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• You've already gotten some great advice, advice I wish my parents had followed when I was a kid. But something else you can do as a parent is simply relax. Do not make going to a new school into a big stressful hairy deal. If you don't get all worked up about it, if you treat is as somthing that is normal and common (which it really is for lots of kids), then your kids should be more accepting of the change.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2010