How can I figure out if Im in real labor?

Its so confusing! I've had false labor several times now, went to the hospital two of those times and got sent home. And the contractions even showed up that they were regular but there was no cervical change, and eventually they died off and went away. I've been having irregular contractions, often moderate pain, since last night at about 1 am. They would ease up when I stood up. But now, my contractions aren't going away when I stand up. Or lay down, or go to the bathroom.. but they aren't hurting much. I'm so confused!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• False labor will go away when you change positions, but real labor stays on time. I had alot of false labor, and it was hard to tell. So if the contractions stay the same length and minutes apart if you are changing postions or walking or going to the bathroom, sounds like you need to let someone know that you are getting ready. The other great thing that could happen to let you know that they are really there to stay is your water breaking, GOOD LUCK!!
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 5:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• For me I knew I was in real labor when my contractions starting hurting so bad that they would stop me from what I was doing. Believe me you'll know once it happens lol
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• With all of mine, my contractions were 5 min apart and there was some bleeding for one hour and we went in. Sorry to say but I "just knew" it was the real thing!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• the false labor will go away. if you think that you're going into real labor just hang in there and get a stop watch paper and pencil. write down the intervals of your contractions and look for consistency. you aren't suppose to go in until they are about five to seven minutes apart anyways so look for that too. you will be able to know, but this will help you know a little earlier before the contractions get too strong. GL mommy
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 6:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• The only thing you can do is my try walking around and then resting and then walking around some more but in the time your doing all that you need to time your contractions and if they keep coming without going away or slowing down then your in labor. The thing is though usually a hospital wont admit you until your atleast 3 to 4 centimeters. You could try and call your dr and ask him/her what you should do but they might say the same. GL
    megclark22

Answer by megclark22 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• You can try taking a warm bath to see if the contractions stop. The only think I can tell you from experience is that when the labor was real and active, I knew it. There is a distinct difference in the feeling. Follow your instincts as well. Best wishes!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Drink a full glass of water and lie on your left side.. Time the contractions. If they are in a regular pattern for atleast 30 mins, I would contact your doctor. The contractions should intensify as time goes on.

With false labor, they will come and then stop. Vary in intensity. And vary in time.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2010