how do you keep it (sahm) from being monotonous?

it's been less than a month, and although i've packed/moved a house, had surgery/recovered, clean the heck out of our rent house (man, was it filthy!), i'm out of ideas to keep my 5yo ds entertained, and me from going crazy! i'm soooo much better in my 23yo profession, than i am as a sahm!! help!!

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 5:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why don't you join a playgroup or look for activities in your community like storytime at the library? You can also go buy a book of arts and crafts activities to do with your son during the day. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be a great SAHM.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 5:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We homeschool and have a multitude of activities outside of the home as well. We're never board!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We visit the library. We swim. Zoo. Parks. Crafts. Visit other SAHM friends.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We do lots of playdates....at our house, at their house, at the playground, pool, waterpark, zoo, children's museum, beach, Monkey Joe's, indoor playgrounds, farmer's markets, malls, Rain Forest Cafe, movies....etc. etc. etc. and even then it still sometimes gets boring. But I guess just about every job starts to get that way.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i wish i had sahm friends. i know no one here. its 4hrs from home, small town. we've done swim lessons, and vbs. its so hot in south arkansas, and the bugs are humongous, you almost don't want to be outdoors too long! lol...sighhhh. can't wait for kindergarten to start, that will be a big help, for him..and maybe i'll meet new ladies then??
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Girl I know what you mean. we live in Houston Tx.. Its HOT HOT HOT!!
    If you dont know anyone in your area then it would be great to join or create a Meetup group of moms.. There is also something called MOPS (mothers of preschoolers)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• We go shopping, I cook, I play with my son, we go swimming, we go to the library, to the park, to the zoo, to the Children's Museum, sometimes we have play dates with our friends, we go to my parents' house...lots of things. Winter was hard because it snows so much here, but the summer has been really fun so far. My son is only 9 months, but if he were older it would open up even more options.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2010