Hes Falling Apart.

My Hubby had an anxiety attack on tue and was medicated for the day. He wants to go on meds, and seek help...and all I hear is defeat. Im five months pregnant and he lost his job. I am now seeking some education avenues because I feel he isnt strong enough to pull through this before the baby is here and I feel like Im on my own. I dont have the strength to deal with his issues when the bills are overhead and I feel guilty for not handling his situation with more finess but life is not waiting and I cant let my baby suffer homelesness...am I wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Relationships

• Men have a feeling of "i have to take care of my family" and since losing his JOB he feels worthless and this may be "trigger" of his attacks. If meds is right for him then let him get on them and support his plans. I dont take meds for my anxiety. I exercise. I also have a loving husband who supports me. He listens to my problems, my crazy thoughts, and when I feel a trigger coming on he is there with me. My trigger is large crowds... WALMART sometimes makes me feel like I can't breath. I just wait outside and breath. I make my husband breath with me. I would rather it be stare because I'm breathing with my husband. The only thing I can say here is SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT. Thats what we with Anxiety need. SUPPORT from our loved ones. Your only preggo for 9 months Having Anxiety is a lifetime battle. He needs you at this critical moment in his life.
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I would commend him for recognizing that he may need help for his problem. I understand your point of view as well. If only he could get the help he needs and you not have to worry about the finances. I don't feel you are wrong for feeling this way, I just wish it were a better situation for the both of you.
    felicia979

Answer by felicia979 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Depression is a disease. It can be cured. He needs to see a doctor not for just his sake, but for the whole family. It often hurts the family as much as it hurts him. To go to the doctor is not giving up, it is easy to find the excuses not too. It may be temperary, but depression symtoms can be the lack of trying or intrest or the loss of activities. It is only an excuse if not being treated.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• RE!!!! I babbled in my post * i would rather people stare at me for breathing with my husband then having people stare at me for being passed out in Walmart*
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• i agree, it is a good thing that he is realizing/admiting he needs help. most men tend to be too prideful to do this & it just hurts EVERYONE more.

he may not be handling things now, but that what the medicine corrects. i've battled with depression and anxiety as well. once the right meds are established for him, you should see a different person- for the better.

and besides all that, as a man he does need your support & to feel that you have confidence in him- this will boost his self-esteem & that will do wonders (even though it gets hard when you're frustrated & feel like YOU need the special attention being pregnant-- which you do, but it's a sacrifice that's well worth it) good luck, & HANG IN THERE! :)
    mommaCAT215

Answer by mommaCAT215 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• you cant handle his issues for him. he has to do it and it sounds like he is trying ot get it together. anxiety disorder is a real medical issue so maybe the therapy will help.just be supportive. tell him you are worried but you have faith, not just in him but in the both of you. as freaked out as you are about this..he's got ot be worse. he's responsible for financially caring for this child no matter what. it is a hard thing to have to carry. the fact that he's freaking out over it, darlin, that means he is responsible and is going in wiht his eyes wide open. its scary as hell.
    at the same time, i know its got to be hard for you to see this and i think that it is awesome that you are looking for ways to get the bills paid. its great how you are stepping up to the plate. i think you guys will be great parents once the baby gets here. good luck.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2008