Should she understand??

SIL keeps inviting me and my SO (her bro) and our daughter to parties and stuff like family get togethers... tomorrow is a bday party for our niece.
Last time we went to their moms, his cousin and his aunt and a few other people attacked me started talking sh*t to me and my SO stood up for me and it was a HUGEEEEEEE problem. there also is his SIL who no one gets a long with and she'll be there too.

we'd love to go and spend time with our niece, however with these people there, thers bound to be a confrontation by them. We'd rather save the argument the frustration and problems than to just go allow it to happen and have that happen at our nieces bday party.

His sister is mad we won't go.
And when this happened last time, everyone acted like it was our fault when they were the ones that came up to me and started arguing i just got up and walked away from it all and it still seemed to be our fault.

What would you do?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree w ryansmom001 I would NOT attend if you know there's gonna be drama..Seriously!?! Who needs the headache??
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would just explain to her that you would hate for any confrontation to happen at your niece's birthday party. Suggest a time when you could go over and spend time with them when no one else will be there.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would recommend visiting this group and checking out what they have to say about IL's and FOO (Family of Origin). They are experienced and honest about what they think. If they think you are contributing they will tell you so, usually in a constructive manner. If they think it's all the IL's, they can give you pointers of how to handle family get together situations so as to avoid confrontation, or at least to keep it at a minimum. Good luck!

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i feel like we are doing the right thing here, until they can get over being childish and ruining family events.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would go just to spend a little time with her then leave before anything gets out of hand
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• well last time we went, we were there literally no longer than 5 min and it got crazy. i dont want my daughter to be around that, or any of the other kids that are there. Her older daughter got so scared last time all of this happened. I dont want that. we want the bday girl to come over though
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• How long ago did this happen? Maybe your SIL said something to everyone else about their behavior and that they need to behave? Maybe ask her if she did or if she would? Just to keep the peace, kwim?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'd send my dh and daughter to the party and enjoy some private time to myself.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2010