Is anyone else going "OH SH-T!" ?

Storm threatens to disrupt BP oil-siphoning

HOUSTON (Reuters) – With a storm threatening to disrupt oil-siphoning efforts at BP Plc's blown-out Gulf of Mexico well, the U.S. Coast Guard on Friday said collection efforts would be suspended five days before the forecast onset of gale-force winds.

A tropical disturbance over the western Caribbean could deal a big setback to efforts by BP to contain oil gushing from the well, estimated by the U.S. government at up to 60,000 barrels (2.5 million gallons/9.5 million liters) per day.

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 6:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I wasn't thinking 'OH SH*T' until I read your article. LOL. I hate to even think of what a huge storm could do to this oil spill. So far we haven't had much of an impact on the coast off of TX. A big storm could change that.  Off to check out NOAA.  Thanks a lot, Mancos.  ;o)

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Pretty much.....since November 4, 2008!!! LOL :o)

But in all seriousness, this is NOT good news for the Gulf region.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My dad's on the Texas Task Force's Swift Water and Quick Response treams they're telling them that they could be looking at a major HAZMAT situation if that storm picks up any of that oil from the gulf.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 7:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I have heard that a hurricane might just bee a good thing. Meteorologists have argued it actually helps disperse the oil. It will be what it is. If it is a good thing, hurray!!!!! If it turns out to be not so good, then we will meet it head on and face it just like everything else.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Yes, I'm going "WTF!!!!"
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 7:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• OK, I had heard a couple weeks ago that a hurricane or big storm would actually be good. So, while I'm not saying OH SH-T, I'm not saying anything else, either. I really don't know what to think, because this is the opposite of what I had heard previously. Right now, I think that God is the only one who knows.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• bow downI agree with LoriKeet, 29Again, hobbitswife and Shaneagle. There is nothing more I could add, they said it all.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 12:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• I'm slightly concerned but not freaking out just yet and I'm one of the ppl really upset by this whole situation.

Originally they were calling for a 40% chance of it developing into a system; but yesterday they dropped that to 30%. So we're keeping our fingers crossed it keeps going down and fizzles into not much...

I think the oil is contributing to the worry...in general we don't get storms starting in this area til much later in the season...most of the early storms come across the Atlantic...but the oil is helping raise the temp of the waters in that region of the Gulf which adds strength to the storms...it's just a bad bad combo...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree with LoriKeet :-)

There's not really any reason to panic, doing so isn't going to help anything. The powers that be are the only ones who can really decide how big of an impact this storm will have and the efforts to make the damage as minimal as possible.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Birds that are in Minnesota..such as our state bird,the LOON , migrate to the gulf every fall and stay until the spring....they will be suffering and probably die. So, the Gulf states are not the only ones affected by the oil spill. A hurricane can only make it worse. For all of us in the USA.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 26, 2010