Do your kids have too many toys?

Mine have wayyy too many and I have 3 kids. I am getting so frustrated over all the toys and the mess. I hate to give or throw their toys away, I feel so guilty but it really gets to me and I cannot be happy in this mess. It seems like they play with just about all of their toys just not all the time. That is what makes it so hard. I don't know what to get rid of. My daughter is having a birthday soon and we have to give aways some toys.

reesemom

Asked by reesemom at 6:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Absolutely. He's not even a year old and I'm already addicted to buying them. Not to mention, every freakin' family member on both sides spoiled him like crazy too. He has a bunch that aren't even open. I'm going to go through them soon and donate a lot of them.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Have them sort through the toys they are willing to give and then take them to a homeless shelter. tell your kids there are kids out there that don't have any toys and it would be nice if they can share theirs.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Another thing you can do is to put 1/2 to 2/3 in bins and rotate them every few months so it is like having new toys all over agin.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I pack some away for future grandkids. The ones that are special and mean something to us. I put only half his toys out and the other half are in a storage container in the basement. When I get the urge I rotate. I also do not buy toys. That helps. Relatives do and that's fine. I also give grandma lots of toys so when he visits he is fully stocked and it is not all at our home. Then what he does't play with, out grew, or has double of I give to friends with younger children. I look at it this way - even if knave another child she will still get toys from friends and family. There is not going tone a crisis shortage. If another child cam benefit right now then the toy really belongs to them. Toys are just tools for the imagination to take flight. It is the mind that is important not the toy.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Homeless shelter great+Abused women and kids shelter even better!! answer you question yes he does and I am constantly going through them to give to another friend of mine whose kids could use them.Or sorting them so its like he always gets "new" toys after getting bored with the others.My mom gives me most of them but I do buy to muxh i think.
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 7:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Definitely!! I go through and donate before every birthday or holiday but we STILL have SO many toys!! This year my son had two brain surgeries right after Christmas, and let me tell you our house looks like a ToysRUs department store!! LOL, But we figured he earned being a little spoiled.

Next birthday and Christmas we are asking for new toys to donate to the Children's Hospital play room.
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• YES!! My family over does it every birthday and holiday. I don't even have to buy my kids toys at all. lol I donate every year to make room for the new that will come in.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• 1. She never gets them all at the same time.. We have a gameroom & her bedroom for toys.. We dont use our Gameroom that much so I pack up some toys in bins & sit them in there & occasionally rotate.. Look- Brand New toys & didnt spend a dime! :)
    2. About 2x a year I try to go through her toys & give away the stuff she has grown out of.. I do keep a small portion of toys for when next kid comes along.. Poor next kid wont need anything new! JK-Im sure there will be some super newly invented toys my child JUST HAS TO HAVE TO BE GENIUS ... (read-sarcasm!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• Only my youngest has a lot of stuff, but she actually plays with it all. When she outgrows things she gets rid of them, but she hasn't really outgrown much yet. She's only 5 and just recently got rid of most of her baby toys. Honestly, it's my HUSBAND that has the biggest "more stuff than space" problem!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2010