What would you have said/done?

Today there was the year end assembly at my dd's (7) school. My friend and I were sitting in the gym waiting for things to start, and we were sitting behind the grade 6's and I mentioned to her that they are so ackward as they are just hitting that age where puberty starts and seem ackward and unsure of themselves (if that makes any sence?) anyhow she said to me " YOURS will look ackward!" I just looked at her like what? And I just smacked her leg and sat there mad, but didnt' say anything. I pretended that it didnt' bother me but it did. What would you have said?

minimo77

Asked by minimo77 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "Gee Thank you :-(" Im in shock with you
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 6:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would have been like, "Excuse me? What was THAT for? I meant that as a general statement, so why would try to make it personal and insult my children? I certainly wasn't trying to insult you, so I'm sorry if you took it that way.". I don't care if someone is my friend or not, I don't let anyone talk about my child without putting them in their place. I don't necessarily like confrontation, but there's a point where I don't give a crap.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would have probably done the same thing as you and wouldn't have known what to say.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• she'll get hers, don't worry.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• was she joking? do you have different gender kids? i think the smack in the leg said it all. if it still bothers you, just tell her how you feel...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'm sure she didn't mean to be insensitive. She was merely talking about the awkward stage they go through during puberty. Nothing personal toward your dd

Answer by admckenzie at 7:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think she said it because she thought you were rude when you were talking about other kids she wanted to see if you'd feel bad if someone said that about ur kid.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I would have explained what I meant when I said what I said.
    You meant they were at the awkward phase. Not that they were awkward looking, I assume.
    MoNKeyBoyz

Answer by MoNKeyBoyz at 10:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Im hoping she was just being sarcastic & id probably say something silly in return "u still look pretty awkward yourself!" But if i felt seriousness Id ask "why you think that?" or "hey dont be so rude, i was just saying!"
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 26, 2010

• It sounds like it came out wrong and she didn't mean anything by it. All kids go through an awkward stage (merciful Zeus, I was a malnourished giraffe at 12!) , maybe she was just playing off that.
    LilyJaneC

Answer by LilyJaneC at 3:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2010