Anxiety- How do you cope?

I am the mother of a beautiful 7 yr old and 6 month old. Ever since having my 6 month old I have been struggling with postpartum mood disorder. I get anxiety but I've had it under control with help and support. However, soon my situation will change and I will no longer have the support of my mom. What scares me the most is being alone with my baby at night. I don't know how many of you can actually understand what this is but sleeping with my baby at night scares me so much... i don't expect to get much sleep, I just don't know how I will cope at night. Every little sound and turn she makes will alarm me and I'm almost shaking thinking about it. My fear is making me crazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Health

• years ago i read "how to stop worrying and start living" by dale carnegie. it's a book i recommended to my sister a few years ago when she was having panic attacks about dying. one of the things it tells you is stop trying to talk yourself out of your fear and go ahead and carry the thought through: what's the worst that can happen... think about it, think of what you will do if that happens, and have a plan. sometimes the biggest part of the fear starts to seem kinda silly on certain things when you ask yourself what's the worst that can happen. i was a single parent and my daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was three. i was much younger than, but found i adjusted to little sleep or interrupted sleep. if you find yourself getting overtired, have baby visit mom for a little while or else find yourself friends like i did - other moms who help each other out.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I had my son 9 months ago, and while I never suffered from depression, I suddenly had horrible anxiety. For 7 months, I kept trying to talk myself out of it, tell myself that I could control it, etc., until it reached a point where I realized I couldn't. I've never liked the idea of being medicated. I didn't want anything to change my personality, and I didn't want to become dependent on a drug. However, I went to my doctor and she prescribed me Celexa, and it has helped so much! Supposedly it's non-habit forming, and its so weird. All of a sudden I just don't worry or get anxious anymore. At least, not like I used to. Now I only worry about things that are normal to worry about, and even then, I have it under control. My personality hasn't changed at all. There are other therapies besides medication, but I'd talk to your doctor, because they very well may be able to help. Best of luck!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• The obgyn I used to work at had women with the same problem all the time. You should talk to her about it. There are relaxation techniques, medications and even referrals to other doctors she/he can probably give you to get you feeling better again. Please don't be ashamed about it. Its really very common and you can help for it if you ask.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010