My eight year old pulled out his eyelashes!!!

Apparently last night my eight year old got started pulling out eyelashes and now has half an eye with NO lashes! I'm slightly freaking out. Has anyone else ever had a child do this? He is not a child that has any psychological issues, and is happy, funny and well rounded, but is very a deep thinker and artistic by nature. He sometimes will bite his fingernails, but has never done anything like this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, I've never heard of this. It must have hurt. I have heard of children trimming their eyelashes because they hit their glasses lens.

Answer by Bmat at 7:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• there is a disorder - can't think of the name but you can google it - my mom has it (eyebrows) and my niece has it - can't remember which hair she pulls out - they pull out hair. both my mom and niece are pretty normal other than that.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• There is a disorder called alopecia(sp*) that causes kids to pull out their hair, eyelashes...any sort of body hair. I think it's related to anxiety.I had a friend who had it and ended up going bald. I am in NO WAY saying that your son has this. Especially considering this is the first time this has happened, he may have just pulled a few out, irritated it, then kept pulling them out to soothe the itching or something. Just keep an eye on him and make sure it doesn't continue. If it does, talk to his doctor. It's probably nothing, though. Kids often do weird stuff for no reason, lol. What did he say when you asked him why he did it?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Trichotillomania is the condition where people pull out their own hair. Alopecia is hair loss.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• This girl I went to high school with use to do the same thing. She also would pull the hair on her head.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I went to middle school with a girl who did that. Yes, it's a disorder. Pulling one or two wouldn't be alarming but talk to his doctor

Answer by admckenzie at 7:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Trichotillomania is the condition where people pull out their own hair. Alopecia is hair loss. "

You're right! I got the two confused. I also had a friend whose hair fell out in high school, and she was the one with alopecia. Trichotillomania was what the friend who pulled it out had.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I've heard of this too. If it was just once it probably isn't but I know a lot of kids when they're nervous will pull out individual pieces of their hair on their head, maybe it was like that? Pulling out your eyelashes would hurt!!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I went through a phase when I was 9 where I pulled out a bunch of my hair (it was underneath the rest of it, along the back neckline). I don't know why; I was just sort of fascinated with what the end part that came out of my head looked like. One day, my mom went to curl my hair because it was a special occasion, and she discovered it. She hit the roof-- at first she thought it was falling out and that I was ill. I admitted to her that I'd pulled it out for no good reason and she yelled at me and told me to knock it off, what the hell was wrong with me. So I stopped. I guess my point is is that while there is a legitimate disorder in a small number of people that causes them to do this, I would also guess there are a large number of kids like myself who do it for no reason at all, other than a curiosity or because they have an anxious personality. I'd talk to him, then let it go unless it happens again.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Help... I can't stop pulling my own hair out. Help, I can't stop binging and purging.... Help! I can't stop dating violent men who treat me like dirt. Help!! I have a "condition" that makes me cut myself, I have a "disorder" that makes me eat constantly, I have a "disease" that makes me drink. Im so sorry your youngin pulled his eyelashes out. I wouldn't worry about it. Some adults have a lot of "splanin" to do though. Good Luck :)
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 7:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2010