Who has been the biggest influence for the kind of mother you are/want to be?

Mine are...
My mom, she is so strong. She left an abusive marriage with five kids and supported us, without even having a high school diploma. After she married my step dad she went on to get her GED and went to college, full time while working full time. I learned that I can do anything I set my mind to.

My oldest sister, she is an all around super mom. She always has a tidy house, home made dinner on the table, she has time for crafts and other activities. I really look up to her!

My MIL, she really supported a more natural approach to child rearing, breastfeeding, cosleeping, gentle discipline, were all things was looking forward to doing and she is a great support for me.

My friend Priscilla, She has such a great relationship with her girls and they share everything. She is always fun.

I don't know how I got so lucky to have such wonderful women in my life.

So what about you? Who do you try to emulate as a mothe

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 7:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Wow I love this question, My grandmother and my mom. My mom and dad were divorced by the time I was 2 he married again shortly after. My mom stayed with her mom (my grandmother)

She was a great influnce on me and my parenting skills, she alwayed watch my sister and I while my mother worked hard to provide for us. Not to mention she herself was a RN who worked as well. She taught us good manners, great values, always made us first.

She was there when I was hurt and thought my mother didn't understand me, Acctually I didnt get to see what and how much my mother loved my sister and I until about 5yrs ago. I now see how she sacficed for us. I mean she didnt marry again until we were both adults.
    I must admit when I think of them both and start typing this tears came to my eyes. Because I have never told my grandmother how much she gave to me. So thanks for that question off to call my granny
    P.johnson

Answer by P.johnson at 7:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My own mother. She has always been so amazing, loving, and in my eyes, perfect. If I can end up being half the mom she is, I'll be a great mom. :) Recently she gave me the best compliment I've ever received. She told me that her and my dad were talking, and they think that I've done a really great job with my son. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My grandmother who was always kind and showed me that she loved me.

Answer by Bmat at 7:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My mom...I wanted to be everything she wasn't.
    My Dad...He is and was my everything.
    Kathy-PSPR

Answer by Kathy-PSPR at 7:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I hate to admit it, but the only people who have influenced the mother I am are the ones who set a bad example and made me think "I won't ever be anything like them". I decided early on that I would do fine if I did the opposite of whatever my own mother/MIL did. It's unfortunate that I never had a positive example to look up to, but oh well. I will set my own goals much higher in contrast.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I lost my mom when I was 8. My dad remarried when I was 10. My stepmom has been there for me all this time(i'm almost 33) She is my rock throughout my 8 yrs of marriage and 3 wonderful boys and horrible m/c.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My mom... She has proved to be all the things I don't want to be!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I just want to be the best mom I can be for my kids. It's pointless to have children if they are not #1. I guess my kids influence me because they deserve no less.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I'm honestly just going with the flow. I haven't had the best role models growing up so I am taking it day by day.
    k_hall1784

Answer by k_hall1784 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My parents because of the abuse I endured, the neglect, the secrets and their inability to show me how to love. This left me with a giant void to fill. Teaching me the importance of showing love and what not to do as a parent. Teaching me how communication is important, and conversations about love, sex, and self worth are vital.

My grandmother - because she was the one that showed me love, that showed interest, support and guidance.

Placing my first son for adoption with my parents influence, created a stronger desire to be an even better mother. One that would not abandon her child and leave them in their greatest time of need and support.

I was bound and determined to be the best mom I could be. I wanted to be better than my parents that was my motivation and my influence. I was out to prove to them there was a better way and I have.

blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2010