Almost 5 year old sleeping in Mom's bed weird or just different parenting styles?

I think it is wrong and hinders him from developing healthy independence but maybe there is another view point I am not aware of? I also just learned he just got out of pull ups over night. I heard this can take until he is 5 so I guess that is not a big deal but what do you think about sleeping in his mom's bed when he is almost 5 years old? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Just different. My son is 4 and shares a bed w/ his dad. My brothers shared a bed for years and years - hell, they may still... No big deal, just different family style.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Not a big deal. A lot of families believe in the family bed and have normal well-adjusted children. I don't see the pull ups being connected in any way to the continued co-sleeping.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think in a day and age where neglect and abuse happen often that having a parent who doesnt mind snuggling and loving on their kids and making sure that they feel secure is the least of our concerns as parents. Loving your child is never wrong or weird at any age.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think every child is different. Some mature quickly, other need to be nurtured longer. I think this is up to the parents to  decide. I raised

3  and each one of them had different needs.

TwinkleC

Answer by TwinkleC at 7:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My 7 and 5 y/o and 5 mo old all sleep with me yes they have thier own beds but they perfer my bed. and I dont mind it anyways as my hubby is gone more then hes at home hes a truck driver.
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 7:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• what i think is that it must be uncomfortable!! When I was staying over at my sisters , we had to share a bed and I kicked in the face ! lol
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 7:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Not weird. I think its perfectly normal for young kids (and yes five is still young!) to want to be near their parents at night. It helps them to feel safe and secure. Children all grow and mature at their own rate, there is no need to push "independence" on them. It's a natural progression for children to go from wanting their parents, to wanting to do things on their own as they grow.

Also, the pull-up is a completely separate issue. My kids never used pull-ups at night past age 3 and we cosleep. I have a friend who's DD used pull-ups at night until age 7 and her daughter sleeps in her own room/bed. Again, all children are different.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Our 6yo sleeps in bed with us our 3yo sleeps in his own bed inour room. I like having my kids close to me. I feel like if there were anthing to happen we would be right here to take care of them. I know that they are safe when there are with me and my husband. I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all.
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• It is "normal" for them and obviously works for them. If there are no signs of abuse then I say leave it well enough alone. Our families were pushing us to get our kids out of our bed and they were 2 and 4 at the time. Just before they turned 5 and 3 the 5 year old asked for his own room and the 3 year old wanted to join so now they share a bed in a different room (still 5 and 3).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I agree with the other responses that each child's needs are different. My son is 5 years old and still prefers to sleep with me. Once he falls fast asleep then I place him in his bed. I don't find it weird, if anything if my son feels comforted and secure and will easily and peacefully fall asleep then I think at 5 years old it is fine.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2010