How old were you when you first learned to cook?

My grandmother was an inspiration to me and gave me a lot of liberty in the kitchen to cook and bake. I started off by learning how to cook eggs before I barely could reach the stovetop around four years old. I watched her make crust from scratch for the dozens of pies she made. They were wonderfully delicious!

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• GREAT question!

25... When my parents were interested in teaching me, I wasn't interested in learning. I cooked things before that, but really only things you heat up, nothing from scratch.
    Then one day I wanted to cook, so I taught myself. At first I tried things on my own, and those first meals were HORRIBLE :p Then I started reading recipes and watching food network and learned some technique.
    Now I am complimented on what a good cook I am. It really has become something I love to do and I feel great about feeding my family real food, and not something that comes from a box.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My mom started teaching me when I was about 8 or 9.  I remember we got a microwave when I was 9 and we learned together how to make scrambled eggs in it, lol.  That was like my first big thing I could make on my own.  By 10 I was cooking on the stove (mostly mac & cheese) and somewhere along the line I just absorbed cooking.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I still don't know how. Maybe I'll learn by the time I'm 40, but it's doubtful. I really, really hate preparing food.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I think I was 12.
    My_4_cuties_08

Answer by My_4_cuties_08 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I just always watched my mom. That's how I learned the important stuff.
    AmazingAmanda

Answer by AmazingAmanda at 7:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I was 8 when my mom started teaching me how to cook or lettinf me cook on my own.. but I always helped her from the time I was like 2
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 7:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• om my poor dh, I didn't learn to cook until I was married and had no choice.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I could make toast and scrambled eggs when I was 5.
    TwinkleC

Answer by TwinkleC at 7:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• At nine I was taught to cook macaroni and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. It just continued from there.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 7:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• i was in 4-h and i was winning the favorite food show every year by the time i was like 8 i think. i am teaching my kids how to cook.... i love cooking lol. i guess i'm lucky that i'm good at it!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2010