MY friend wants to know if her dd is too big.

Ok so I have a friend whos' dd is almost 8 and is 52 inches and 80 pounds. Im not sure where that is on the kids bmi chart, but shes' got quite the belly on her. She thinks shes' a little big, compared to her freinds, and my own dd is the same age and alot slimmer, so she is the odd one in the group, so maybe this isnt' helping her worring, yet she dosnt' put her dd in any activity, and drives her to and from school everyday (a ten min walk).
When I am going out to the park/bike ride/to the pool I ask to see if she wants to bring her dd but her dd is always not into doing anything, and it frustrates her but then just lets her do nothing. Not sure what I am asking, but what would be her bmi? if there is some info I can give her she dosnt have a computer so I can print anything out or any comments to help her, that would be great, thanks:)

minimo77

Asked by minimo77 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Gee that sounds like a very normal weight for her height.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Her Mom needs to get more involved with her dd, doing physical activities such as joining you, she needs to set an example. Seeing how she is your friend maybe you can have a talk to her and tell her you would really like for them to join you.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• I know that at 10 my DD is 58" and 80lbs. But everyone is different and has different builds. So is sounds like the dd is overweight.

Maybe suggest that you all go do something together - ride bikes, take a walk, go to the playground. Help her mom to be a positive role model as best as you can. It doesn't help when the parent is not helping as best she can.

As far as bmi, google pre-teen bmi and see what you can find. Obviously the girls should go for a check up each year, is that happening?
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Be really careful here. I think your friend should talk to her child's doctor and have them discuss it. 8 years old, a child can have a growth spurt and it will all go away in only a month or two. Be very careful how it is discussed in front of the child. Her self esteem is very fragile at this age, she is just developing who she will be. It could totally backfire and she could develop an eating disorder too. I think this issue needs to be between the child and her parents. Not outside influences. And a bmi isn't a good way to evaluate a child, but it would be for people your age.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 7:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 20.8 , placing the BMI-for-age at the 95th percentile for girls aged 8 years 0 months. This child may be obese and is likely to have health-related problems because of weight and should be seen by a healthcare provider for further assessment.
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 7:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• She actually looks pretty average for height and weight according to the following chart:

Growth Chart - Girls birth to 36 months

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• WHOOPS!!! I read the information the OP posted wrong! I thought she was 52 pounds not 80! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Thanks bjoycassell. :) She turns 8 in september, and someone asked about dr visits, that would be no, she barly takes her to the dentist, much less a dr. I dont' think shes' been to a dr in years that I know of. I"ve know this friend for along time, and her dd has always been a larger girl.
    minimo77

Comment by minimo77 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• this is a sticky situation she has put you in I would just say Look I'm not a Doctor why don't you bring her to the Doctor and and ask them. They would know better than me.
    -OR-
    Say "well I'm not sure but I do know that kids who are real active and involved in sports and outdoor activities are healthy, Maybe we could sign the kids up for something together and that will give us some Mommy time to chat while they are doing their activity"
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 26, 2010