How long does it take to get good in quilting?

I have been quilting for two years and I am still learning so many things, including my sewing machine.

Mommy2mj

Asked by Mommy2mj at 7:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It just takes as much practice as you can give it. I've been quilting for 8 years and I don't do a lot of the actual quilting, so I am not as good as I would like to be. I have been doing more wall hangings and table runners (I sell them) where I've done the quilting and have gotten better.

The same goes for the piecing, but since you put an entire pattern together there is probably more overall practice of a technique like paper piecing or triangles, etc.

My old boss at a quilt shop would say to have a favorite beverage (wine, tea, whatever) and just relax. You can always rip out if you need to.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• My sister and grandmothers quilted, my MIL does it too. As for me, no matter how long I do it, I think I'd be better off with a hot glue gun than a sewing machine. LOL I would pay anyone to sew me one, I think they are beautiful.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2010

• Just keep on quilting- the longer you do it, the better you will get at it.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 8:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2010